Saturday, October 16, 2010

Finally made it to Boo Fest

I really do love Halloween. I love every aspect of this holiday from the books, to the decorations to picking out costumes for the boys. Now that I have kids I realize how much there is to do for Halloween. We seriously have an activity every week and weekend for the next few weeks and I can't wait for it all to happen.

So today was the first activity, at our mommy & me school where I take Erik and Elliot, they hosted their annual Boo Fest. It is open to the public and I have never been, but have been meaning to go for years. Per my usual I scheduled a play/friend date with my good friend Christine during Boo Fest, but convinced her to come and see me so we could go together and check it out. I made no promises, but said it sounded fun.

Oh my, there were a lot of kids there. It was totally mobbed and insane and crazy. I forgot that several of Erik's and my friends were going to be there and headed back to the story time that was starting. By chance that is where all our friends were so we got an extra surprise of seeing everyone among the craziness. Honestly it was too busy to go anywhere besides the story time playroom, so it ended up being just a big playdate for us.

There was a story happening when we first arrived, but it was almost too loud and impossible for the lady to read it, but she really did try.



After the story was finished we just hung out in the room and I talked with all my friends, lost my kids among the chaos and just tried to stay sane. There were seriously too many kids there that I could barely keep a conversation going or watch my own child. It was intense.




We all started heading out because it was a little much for us, and let the kids play games on the way out. Or more like the 3-year-olds play games and the toddler were just held and were ready for their naps.





We headed home for naps and had to say good-bye to our friends Christine and Enzo. Well I do have to add that we had a yummy visit to Taste of Chicago. Haven't been to that place in years.

For the afternoon we stayed with the Halloween theme. I have been meaning to try the boys costume's on for weeks. Now I have to admit I am not one of those mom's that is going to make the boys costumes or go to second hand stores in search of the perfect outfits. In September when the Halloween catalogs started arriving and we asked Erik what he wanted to be for Halloween, he was very clear on him being Buzz and Elliot being Woody. So one day I was at the outlet mall and they had the costumes in their sizes at the Disney Store, so I bought them. Just that easy and simple for me. So today after having these things for a month I finally put them on the boys. They were a perfect fit.



My favorite part about these costumes was Erik's reaction to his. He loved wearing the Buzz gloves and thought that was a special treat. Lucky for him I got the wings that light up and he would ask for me to push the button. Then he would get in position to explode and say "To infinity and beyond." He did this many times over.



Even Elliot understood that he was wearing something special and got upset when his boot covers fell off or stood with pride as I put on the bandanna. His body language said it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.