Monday, November 29, 2010

Studio Photography

I am blessed to live in a house where I can easily set up my studio and take pictures of whomever I want whenever I want. I actually have an idea of creating a series of black and white images for wall art. I want individual shots of each of the boys and then a family shot, but I need to work up the courage to create these images; my kids are tough subjects. I bought a new shutter remote so maybe in a couple weeks when Carl is home again I'll finally get these images created. In the meantime here are a few of the out take of of the boys.

So the day I shot these pictures was the very first day my studio was set up. Having a canvas set up does something to a child's mind especially when they have a sibling to push them. So instead of getting my boys to sit nicely, say cheese and create beautiful images, I got wrestle mania. I found it amusing and decided to stop trying to get what I want and just shoot so what if I had to replace the paper. Also I learned after this that my kids look better with clothes on.






Sometimes if you give restless kids a prop they will settle down, but I wasn't entirely sure if I wanted these sunglasses in my final picture.





After my 19 month old went down for a nap my three year old who was actually excited and wanted to take pictures that day. I quickly decided a shirt was probably a better image. Erik isn't fat, but he look better with his shirt on than off. Experiment and take no risks and you'll not find something rewarding.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.