Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Erik's Swim Issues

It is no secret that Erik is not a water baby. He has not been a fan of the water since he turned 2 and developed fears. He never wants to put his head under and is very resistant with anyone who tries to teach him in the water.

Regardless my in-laws have a pool and I am determined to get him more comfortable and safe because I had nightmares before he was even born about him drowning. So we have been going to a swim school where each of the boys gets a private lesson for 15 minutes three times a week.

At this school we accidentally signed up at the exact same time as our friends, so Erik and Elliot go there with friends, which is a mixed blessing. In the beginning the little boys, Elliot and his friend, screamed the entire time in the pool, but now that they are in the swing of things its a good way to get the boys out the door everyday.

Since the little boys were screaming their first lessons we separated them and Erik would go with my friend's youngest. Well today Erik asked to go first, there have been no issues, so I told him to go ahead. Basically he was in the pool with his friend at the same time.

He was a completely different kid in the pool. For some reason being in there with his friend just spurred him on to listen and try new things and do better. I was in complete shock. At some point during his lesson I heard him ask his teacher, "Am I swimming as good as Ella?" who is now swimming underwater and is doing an awesome job.

110624IMG_8929

110624IMG_8931

110624IMG_8936

110624IMG_8939

110624IMG_8949

110624IMG_8953

110624IMG_8958

I can't believe when I started having trouble I didn't think of it before, and whenever our friends are at the lessons with us I am 100% throwing Erik in the water at the same time as his friend. Its like a new kid in the pool because he is so competitive and wants to do just as well. I knew he was inspired by competition but didn't know what suggestions to make to his teacher to get him to start liking it again. Guess I was looking the wrong way.

As a little side note, Elliot swam underwater today all by himself! I was in total shock and completely amazed. I bet by the end of our next 10 lessons he will be swimming all by himself. I am so proud of him and knew he would be doing that by the end of the summer. He is such a water baby. It shows you how different your kids can really be.

110624IMG_8991

110624IMG_8997  110624IMG_8990

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.