Saturday, June 23, 2012

Lake Sundog 2012 (1 week in)

One of the draws of heading to Lake Sundog and Carl's family cabin in Michigan is that there is no cell and no internet access. This means when I head into town every couple of days I catch up on email on my iphone or any texts or voicemails I missed. Then I snuggle back into the communicationless cocoon of Sundog.

This is my romantic vision of it, but I think most of the Johnsons are annoyed at being unable to access their phone calls or be on more than dial up. As a result, as technology improves every couple of years, Carl comes up with a gadget to bring here and try to see if our internet can get faster and if we can improve our cell reception. As I am typing this you can see this is the first time it worked so instead of embracing my cocoon, I will embrace change and having internet at the cabin. I might only log on once or twice a day which is a switch, but I won't be completely gone for the two weeks I planned.

Since I am going for it, I thought I would post a few pictures of our trip since I know how much my family and some friends love looking at my pictures and the life of the boys. My first images are for me alone though.

This is the first time I have been to Sundog in June and its a wet mess here. I am not sure if we have gone more than a day without rain. Honestly since I am looking at months of rainless days in Southern California I will take the rain today. Besides it never a full day and we can usually spend a morning or afternoon tromping through the forest.

The second day we were here though it was 100% rain. My poor boys, they got brand new bikes and couldn't hardly use them because the dirt road was too muddy. As they napped or played quietly inside, I can't remember, I was reading a book on my usual spot on the couch facing the window looking out at the lake. I knew the minute I looked up this was a rare moment that I have never before captured of the lake and I have many beautiful moments captured. So I pulled out my newest 16-24 mm lens and walked down the hill to shoot. This day was so unique because the lake was still as glass and the cloud reflecting on the lake were gorgeous. Definitely one for that book I make one of these years of lake pictures.

120619IMG_4950

120619IMG_4951

Here are some of our other shenanigans we have gotten into while it wasn't raining. Mostly we have quietly kept to ourself at the cabin, but have come up with some ways to cause trouble.

We took the training wheels off of Erik's bike and let him try to learn. He quickly realized it was going to be hard and has only tried twice. I have a feeling it might be a while before we take training wheels off again. I had to though because has been asking me for months to do this.

120621IMG_5040

Elliot has gotten to ride on roads with no cars in sight. Love the country and how few people there are out here.

120621IMG_5039

We've played with "cousin" Erik since it was a rainy day and he was home from daycare. He is only 5 months younger than Elliot and all the boys really got along.

120619IMG_4939

We've counted all the animals we've encountered in the woods while driving. So far we have seen 14 deer, 1 wolf, and 4 wild turkeys.

120621IMG_5086

We've gone to a model A show and even saw one on ski's that plowed snow.

120621IMG_5045

120621IMG_5055

120621IMG_5060

120621IMG_5080

Mostly the boys have come up with many creative ways to keep themselves entertained. Jumping off the table was torturous for grandma and she swore they would break a leg. Just as a parently side note, they were totally safe in my opinion. My kids have jumped off far worse than that table.

120619IMG_4978  120619IMG_4973

120617IMG_4928

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.