Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Happy Birthday Dr. Suess

The month is Dr. Suess month and it seems as if all the schools are celebrating him. Even Erik told me he read "Green Eggs and Ham" in school today. As per tradition, today was the day the three year olds in mommy & me school got to cook. Not only did they get to cook, but they got to cook green eggs and ham. Very exciting.

Elliot isn't much of a chef. I am the type of mom who loves my kids in the kitchen with me and encourage them to help at any opportunity. They can crack eggs, measure flour, mix anything as long as they are learning. Erik is very eager to help constantly and I call him a future chef, Elliot has never had a strong desire to cook, but will have occasional moments of brilliance. But cooking at school, how deliciously fun and different.

The first thing we did was cut up all the ham. Since we eat eggs and ham at home Elliot is a ham cutting expert. We wash, then cut, and its interesting to see how well the kids work with the utensils.  I definitely like the learning that is going on in this process.

130313IMG_9040  130313IMG_9043  

130313IMG_9044

After cutting up all the ham Teacher Karin lines up all the children and they get to crack two eggs. Some of the eggs make it in the bowl and some end up on the ground. There are definitely some shells that get in the bowl, but easy to dig up. Elliot needs to practice his cracking, but he definitely learned something while doing this.

130313IMG_9076 130313IMG_9087

130313IMG_9081

Then after they all got to crack two eggs the then got a chance to use the hand mixer. Some kids it was a challenge, but since we have this at home and use it a lot Elliot was an old pro and anxious to try.

130313IMG_9111

130313IMG_9112

Then the magic happens. All the kids crowd around Teacher Karin counting out drops of food color and she mixes it all up and guess what, the eggs turn green!

130313IMG_9118

130313IMG_9124

Then the final stage of this whole process, the kids get to read the book and learn how why they are making green eggs and ham. I can't believe how excited they were to read today, they could hardly sit on their bottoms it was so much fun.

130313IMG_9127

130313IMG_9131

130313IMG_9132

Then viola when story time is done the eggs are ready for the children's feast! I had no doubt Elliot would gobble this up because he loves eggs and ham. It was definitely a hit with most of the kids.

130313IMG_9160

130313IMG_9170

130313IMG_9164  130313IMG_9162

Here are some other cute moments from today. I needed to shoot some additional shots for Elliot's photobook and here are my favorite gems. 

The boy Elliot's talking too is named Elliot as well, even spelled the same way. These two boys have been in mommy & me on and off since they were 1 years old, but now that they are 4 they now notice they have the same name. They had the most adorable conversation today that went something like this.

"I'm Elliot and your Elliot"
"We both have the name Elliot"
"E-L-L-I-O-T"
"Heehee that is my name"

130313IMG_9091

130313IMG_9093

Silly bell time. Elliot likes to put a lot of them on his arms, but heard the word "no" today so it didn't work out. He was fine with just two!

130313IMG_9141  130313IMG_9139

My future engineer. Definitely is heading in that direction at 3 years old. Only the future knows...

130313IMG_9057

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.