Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Filling in the blank spots

My baby boy is coming up on two years in the next couple months and that means it is time to start working on his baby book. Today I decided to bring in my camera at mommy and me school and snap a few pictures just to make sure I have options when I work on those pages.

Its fun to just document a normal day in your child's life. Elliot really LOVES school. Every time we leave he is just so happy to have gone and I think a big part is the time he gets to spend with just me alone. Although I do have to admit I feel like I have been there, done that with Elliot and school I really do try to live in the moment with him and share those special memories. I know it is moments like this that forges our bond and gives him opportunities to socialize and be around kids his own age.

Everyday we go to school, walk in to sign in and get our name tags on. During this time Elliot always makes a beeline for the car table. It is is favorite activity and he always starts here. Although more often than not there is a lot of competition at this table.






Then after giving him a couple minutes there I really try to talk him into the art project. He doesn't have to do it, but I try to walk him over to see if he really will be interested. The art projects are only available for the firs 30 minutes so I want to let him have opportunities. More and more lately he is really liking the projects and creating.





Then we clean up, go potty and head outside for some fresh air. I think outside play is really important and also it makes him come in contact with less germs so I really encourage him to play out there.

He is getting less and less interested in jungle gyms lately, although he did finally climb it today all by himself for the very first time.




Then the moment of decision, what to do next, there are just so many choices!


He choose the horse, one of his favorite toys at school.

 

Then it is time for circle time, songs and bells. Elliot loves it all and this is a big class with a lot of kids. I am always amazed at how big this class is, much larger than Erik's class.




Then a snack of graham crackers and water. Elliot usually eats about two crackers and lots of water, and is always the last man standing during snack. He really loves sitting with the other kids and eating.



Afterward it time for you guessed it, more play. Its any ones guess where we go this time, usually outside but he has been know to sit inside and play cars or puzzle by himself. Today he decided for some girl time outside.


My favorite moment of the day is when Elliot and Avery started pushing each other in the car. They each took turns pushing each other. I was amazed because Elliot never lets anyone push him in cars, ever. Such a ladies man, showing off for the girls.





We ended the day on the horses and playing with Brooke on the seesaw. Not a bad day at school I might say.



Just a note on how I shot today. I used my flash the entire day on TTL. I just used a fill flash at -1 2/3 stops outside and inside I bounced the full flash off the ceiling. My only complaint is using the flash outside made me using a larger DOF than I would like, but helped fill in the shadows nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.