Thursday, September 1, 2011

Searching for that cover shot

Last week I went to a studio lighting seminar. It was more of a lecture than anything else, and if you didn't really know about lighting you might have been lost. What it did for me is remind me to get those lights outside and keep shooting.

One of the things he talked about is a modern look for today's fashion magazines. Its actually a pretty simple three light set up with the model having shiny makeup. It involves a beauty dish and two strip light boxes, all things I don't have.

Here is how a commercial photographer does it. (she is not wearing shiny makeup)



So today I got out all my lights and tried to figure out how I wanted to create this look. I wanted to use a white background because I can control that a bit easier, oh and I own one. I have two strobes with umbrellas and a big garage so I figured I could take the umbrellas and use those instead of the lightboxes and then use my garage door opening as a beauty dish. One flaw, I could not find my second umbrella so I had to think of something else.

Instead I used my garage door opening as the background light and used my umbrella with the silver for the main light. I evened out the ratios of F8 for the background and main light and then got to work.

Although I love this affect, I am not sure why I am not in love with these pictures of Erik from today. I really struggled to get something from him. I wanted a half body shot because the cover of his photobook is a square 12x12 and thought a half body look would work better.

Here are a few of my favorites. If you want to see everything click here.

110901IMG_0703
1
110901IMG_0693
2
 

110901IMG_0679
3
110901IMG_0685
4
 

110901IMG_0694
5
110901IMG_0707
6
 

110901IMG_0700
7

110901IMG_0704
8
110901IMG_0730
9
 

110901IMG_0720
10

110901IMG_0734
11
110901IMG_0736
12
 

110901IMG_0735
13

Honestly I think I like the test shots with Erik and Elliot better. They were just feeding off of each other's energy in a silly and good way that was full of emotion.

110901IMG_0664

110901IMG_0660

110901IMG_0657

So I am having a hard time choosing. Tell me what you favorite image is from today. I am thinking of reshoot after nap with a different outfit and maybe a grey background. Not sure yet.

2 comments:

  1. #2 is my favorite . . . have no technical idea why. Such sweet little boys you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the one I am leaning towards too. Since you know Erik, I can probably see why you choose that. It just seems genuine.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.