Monday, August 29, 2011

The boys first day of school

Now that Carl is in the swing of things in his new job and can help out more with the little things, it dawned on me last week that I could have him take Erik to his first half day of preschool/parent meeting, while I took Elliot to his first 2 year old class at BPEC. If I didn't take Elliot today it was going to be until mid September before we could go for the first time, and I was just a little sad for him.

I am starting to make it a new tradition that the boys take a picture outside the front door on their first day of school. I did it last year and made it happen again this year. We had to include lunch boxes because when we were at Old Navy yesterday I bought these for the boys on a whim and they were obsessed this morning. So lunch boxes and all.

This is the main one for the books.

110829IMG_0607

Erik was so anxious to go to school it was hard to get them to look at the camera today. I had to do the "special word" trick and that's how I got my final shot. I was rushed though so everything is wrong with my settings and background today (the trash). At least I got it in the moment.

110829IMG_0600

110829IMG_0606

110829IMG_0605

110829IMG_0604

Then I can't leave Elliot out so I brought the camera along for his first day of school. The problem with Elliot is that he is very very daddy obsessed at the moment. Honestly he just loves dad's and blond moms. Strange, but it seems to be a universal truth with him. If your a dad or blond he is going to say hi to you and cuddle you. Also on his way to school he asked for a daddy & me class, not a mommy & me class, so you can see the status of our relationship right now.

He did ok his first day. He cried a little when I left him during discussion, like he always does, but cheered up within a minute. He seemed mad and stressed a bit about our new routine and the class, but I know its because we're in a new room, same teacher, but new friends. My friend Trista from last year was there and I hadn't seen her all summer. I wish I would have made an effort to see her, because I forgot how much we got along, so we signed up for all our helper days together. The class is also smaller which I like, and it seems like 90% of the moms have an older kids so we all get each other. A new dynamic, but I really like it.

110829IMG_0612

110829IMG_0609

110829IMG_0618

110829IMG_0613

Elliot is really into putting cars in a row right now, but my favorite moment is when he put himself right into that row. So adorable and he knew exactly what he was doing.

110829IMG_0615  110829IMG_0617

110829IMG_0622  110829IMG_0623

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.