Thursday, December 1, 2011

Green Eggs and Ham and Making Ornaments

My poor children. Its a tradition in our house that we decorate for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving. This year was no exception, yet different. We were having our traditional Thanksgiving with my family on the Sunday night, the same day we got our Christmas tree. Then to add to it, Carl had to go on a business trip Monday night to Tuesday night making it impossible for us to decorate the tree for a couple of days. My kids really really wanted to decorate the tree!

So to ease the stress yet get them in the Christmas spirit we made salt dough ornaments to hang on the tree. On Monday night we made the dough, rolled and cut them and I took no pictures, but we had a blast. I love "baking" with my children and they are getting really good at it. Then on Tuesday night since daddy wasn't due home until after 7 pm we painted the ornaments. For some reason the night before I had mentioned to Erik we should make green eggs and ham the next day. Honestly I forgot I said it to him, but he didn't. So it was a night of painting ornaments and making our green eggs and ham.

My lighting in the kids playroom is pretty poor at night and it gets so dark early these days its hard to take pictures so I only got a few.

111129IMG_1721

111129IMG_1724

Erik's ornaments.

111129IMG_1736

Elliot's ornaments.

111129IMG_1737

The thing I like about green eggs and ham is how involved the kids can be with it and yet how simple a project it is. I cut up ham and let them cut it into smaller pieces. We have a hand egg beater so they beat the eggs themselves. The only thing I have to do alone is cook it and even then Erik is still helping.

Elliot is still learning how to cut with a knife, but this is part of the process of why we do this.

111129IMG_1728

111129IMG_1733

111129IMG_1738

111129IMG_1740

111129IMG_1742

The final verdict both kids eat it, but didn't finish their portions. A fun project, but mild success as a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.