Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Whole lot of Oridinary

So these days there is nothing really special keeping us busy, yet we are really busy these days. Its a fun time of year when plans are coming together for vacations and activities for the summer. For us its going to be a mixture of swim lessons and Sundog. We might add a few Parks and Rec classes in there for fun if they offer anything good this year.

Its also a weird time of year for the weather in SoCal. The season can't seem to make up its mind. We'll have a couple of 85 degree days and then it will be a blistery 60 here in SoCal. When it was 85 a couple weekends ago we made the most of it and had some fun in the sprinklers.

Also Carl and the boys have this game where they throw the ball at the swing. I don't get it, but have tried it and its pretty fun. So we aren't abusing our kids, they seriously love this ball game.

120304IMG_2954

120304IMG_2955

120304IMG_2964

Last week I was watching one of Erik's preschool friends while his mom went to a class. I love 4 year old playdates because they are independent and want to play by themselves at this age. Mostly Erik and his friend played swords, but there were a few other games in there. It was nice to have someone around who could match Erik's energy and interest at the same level.

Putting all three on the swing, I thought it was brilliant. It didn't go very high, but they had a lot of fun with it.

120308IMG_2987

Here they were swinging their arms in the air fighting bad guys. I loved watching the magic of their imagination.

120308IMG_3007

120308IMG_3000

(note: sorry about the out of focus pictures. I am pretty sure my camera is about to have some major problems since it is focusing poorly and incorrectly these days. I plan on upgrading so I haven't fixed the problem yet.)

Elliot's look at me, and take a picture of me, moment that day. He is really getting into me taking pictures of him, just like Erik was at 3 years old.

120308IMG_2993

The other interesting thing is our lives is that Erik has made some major development in his fine motor skills recently. My boy who never sits down to do art or draw is obsessed with it. Seriously while writing this blog he colored an entire Spiderman picture. This is not usual for him and a new trend. On this day he was drawing self portraits and pictures of octopuses. He was also writing his name over and over again. He is really into drawing now and I encourage it at every moment because sitting down and doing projects like this will be so important for kindergarten next year.

120309IMG_3017

120309IMG_3019

I was assisting at Elliot's mommy & me class and when I do that I like to bring my camera. Here are a few I caught of him that day. He is also way more into art than his brother was at this age. He did two paintings and later that morning gave one to Erik saying he made it for him. Totally sweet and very much like Elliot. He is a very sharing and giving child. Notice when he is painting there is a car involved...

120312IMG_3088

120312IMG_3093

The next day I was taking pictures at Erik's mommy & me class because we do a photobook every year and for some reason we were short on pictures this year. I had a lot of kids to photograph that day and barely got any of Erik, but here are a few that caught my attention.

He can cut with scissors really well now. Not the most perfect circle, but it resembled it.

120313IMG_3107

120313IMG_3142

Erik driving Erik on the bike. I thought it was appropriate.

120313IMG_3147

Today when Elliot got home from a birthday party/ playdate he put on a costume. This is not typical for him and I highly encouraged it. He went all out in his Buzz play and gave me his best Buzz Lightyear pose.

120315IMG_3237  120315IMG_3246

Excuse the mess but in their attempt to put together a costume they emptied the entire contents of both costume ottomans.

So nothing special, but some major developmental milestones I am proud of over here. Its fun to watch your children grow and on their way to becoming the people you thought they would be.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE all the pictures :)! The teacher in me says that Erik is GREAT with those scissors..he's holding them better than most of our first graders, lol :).

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.