Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter Fun

I really have struggled with this holiday recently. Its no secret that I am not really religious. I am definitely not Christian and this is a very Christian holiday. Although this is not my belief I am respectful of those who hold it sacred, so I struggle with Easter, knowing it is one of the more important Christian holidays.

The struggle comes from my childhood, culture and the experiences around us. There are easter egg hunts everywhere and its not about Christianity. It is commercialized, but as a parent I have come to realize how important these traditions are to your childhood and they are the foundation of who you are and what memories are created. Erik had two Easter hunts in his classes alone let alone the other events we were invited too or could have attended at this age. Pretty much age 4 is the perfect age for Easter.

While having lunch with a friend who holds similar beliefs I asked her this question and how she deals with it in her own mind. She is an academic so I really respect her opinion and often she is right on the mark with these things. Her opinion is to just make it a celebration of spring and a time of family. Mentally I had never gone there because my mom was Lutheran and ingrained the religious portion into my brain. So now we celebrate spring by celebrating Easter and I also explain to my children why this holiday is significant to Christians. I need to contact some of my Jewish relatives and find out more about Passover too and explain that as well.

So on Sunday we casually celebrated Spring and celebrated Easter. The day started off with an Easter hunt in our own home. Glenn and Annie took me out the night before for dinner so they stayed to help stuff eggs and hide them everywhere for me. I had to make my brother make it less challenging he was getting really into the hiding spots. My kids are only 4 and 2, but he got really into it.

The next morning Erik woke up soooo excited for Easter. This is a very first for him and I didn't even sell the holiday. I had no decoration up all month and he kept asking where they were. Luckily they did let us sleep in until 7 pm, but Erik was more than anxious to get the show on the road that morning.

120408IMG_3343

120408IMG_3345  120408IMG_3346

120408IMG_3347  120408IMG_3348

120408IMG_3351

Then because it was Easter and I remember eating so much candy on Easter I just let them go for it that morning. They didn't have a ton so I let them eat what they had. The repercussion is that the boys keep trying to eat the leftover jellybeans every morning. Live and learn.

120408IMG_3355

120408IMG_3357

120408IMG_3363

120408IMG_3368

120408IMG_3374  

120408IMG_3381

120408IMG_3387

120408IMG_3393

Then we went to Grandma and Grandpa's house and they went for it again. More candy, more jellybeans, more baskets and more sugar. My kids needed a diet after Easter and unfortunately it was my birthday the next day so no reprise as there was cake involved.

120408IMG_3397

120408IMG_3399

120408IMG_3400

120408IMG_3402

120408IMG_3410

My kid did dye Easter eggs, but it was a week before Easter. I will post those next in a separate blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.