Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Erik graduates from mommy & me school

Today was a special, but bittersweet day for me and Erik. For almost 4 years now, with the exception of a few months we took off when I was pregnant with Elliot, we have been going to mommy & me school together. The act of spending special one-on-one time with Erik at school has meant so much to me and is not something I can ever replace or get back again. I paid for sitters, asked Carl to stay home from work, brought Elliot with me, all so I could have this special time with Erik because it meant a lot to me to be able to do these classes with him. He was so young when Elliot was born I really feel like we missed out on a lot of special time together. I thought Elliot would be the one who missed out on that time, but since Erik is in preschool so much Elliot and I get a lot of time together, its really Erik who missed out on this one-on-one time with me.

Well today its over, after 4 years of having these moments once a week our class graduated from mommy & me school. My hormones are on overdrive these days so I pretty much lost it the entire time the kids were graduating. As each mom stood up and said their speech about their child I cried in the background with them so when it came time for me to talk to Erik I was a total mess. And in typical Heather style I was unprepared and hadn't written anything down. I have video but think due to the embarrassing nature of me not being able to speak I will refrain from watching it for a long time.

So its sad to say good-bye. Erik has been in class with most of these kids since he was a baby and I can't believe he is old enough to no longer be in the program. How did I get to have an almost 5 year old? I love that he had this opportunity to grow with the same group of kids, to know so many of them in preschool independent of me and then get a chance to see him with them out of preschool. This was also a place for him to choose who were his friends independent of me. He choose the children who he preferred to play with, and it wasn't because I knew the mom and was friends with her. He has surprised me with some of his choices, but I love that he had this opportunity to develop social skills in such a safe environment.

Sadly none of the children will be heading to kindergarten in the same school as us. As a matter of fact so many kids are taking so many different path. Some are starting kindergarten like Erik, some are staying in our preschool and some are taking a bonus year and some are doing nothing. It really shows you how the individual needs of each child and parent are so very different.

So sadly I say good-bye to Erik and me time, but still have several more years to finish the program with Elliot. Its just so bittersweet when its your first and go through something the very first time.

Here are some pictures from today. All the children coming into the classroom for the graduation ceremony.

120507IMG_4122

120507IMG_4123

120507IMG_4128

Talking about how much I love Erik and our special time together. (I had a friend take the pictures and put my camera on automatic setting. I was pretty disappointed with the results of what the camera choose. I'll have to remember that for the future and program it myself.)

120507IMG_4132

120507IMG_4134

Here is Erik with two of his special friends. Ben and Erik are in the same preschool class so they have bonded and become good friends through that. I love that I knew Ben's mom but we weren't very close and Erik and Ben just became good friends on their own. Its very special to see that happen naturally. In the background in the pink is another preschool friend Autry and Erik and Autry have a special "wrestling" relationship every time after class and have become good friends.

120507IMG_4139

Last but not least I make a book for our class every year with pictures that the parents provide and honestly I bring in my camera a couple days and shoot a lot of the pictures myself so the parents can have good quality images of their children in the book. So here is a book all about our year. It was fun and I am really going to miss going to this program with Erik.

3 comments:

  1. I can see how much Erik has grown just in the 2 1/2 years I've been following your blog and flickr. He looks like such a big boy now. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ... and I agree about automatic mode. My camera tends to underexpose anything indoors, so I know that I need to overexpose it.

    I can't even rely on aperture or shutter priority. Although that is one step up from Auto-mode I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what surprised me is that it choose a low ISO and low shuttersped for indoors so there was motion blur. I could have done a better job of choosing the setting in my sleep. Definitely not relying on it at all anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.