Sunday, November 11, 2012

{Sneak Preview} The Baker Kids

Today Julia and Greg Baker asked me to photograph their adorable children, Ollie and Lilly. Ollie is a very serious 2 year old, and Lilly is a 7 month old already on the move. Their objective was individual shots of the children, some together and maybe one or two of the family. The challenge, getting a 2 year old and a 7 month old to sit still long enough for a few photos.

Ollie was all game from the get go to have his picture taken. The poor guy was transferred directly from nap to my waiting camera, but really was a good sport about it. We decided to take the pictures at the Baker's home because they have a fabulous front yard that is perfect for pictures and I feel sometimes its better to stay at home with babies if you aren't in the studio. It is easier for parents or baby if anything goes wrong and there is a quiet place inside if they get overly fussy or sick of me and my camera.

121111IMG_7043

121111IMG_7046

121111IMG_7134

Lilly was a great model today constalty looking at the camera and keeping relatively still for a 7 month old on the move. Also she was mostly happy to be outside taking pictures, even if she didn't understand, she was sweet about it.

121111IMG_7077

121111IMG_7090

121111IMG_7207

The the biggest challenge yet, getting both kids in the frame, not moving and smiling. We tried and tried and got a few. I love Ollie's hat and am so jealous Julia found that. I am going to get one myself these days.

121111IMG_7115  121111IMG_7121

Then we added a picture of the family "to prove we were here" according to Greg. There were some cute posed one, but I loved this when they were all looking at an airplane.

121111IMG_7176

Then, there can't be any session with the under 3 crowd without them getting sick of photos or a little fussiness. I am mean, but I actually think pictures of crying babies can be cute and they capture a moment that not every parent wants to remember, but its a moment that is true to what was. Just a couple of little Ollie and Lilly who hardly shed a tear the whole day.

121111IMG_7208  121111IMG_7213

These photos bring back memories because I have kids the same age difference and born around the same time as these two, but 3 year earlier. I remember the challenges of getting their Christmas card photo that year. I lucked out by getting these photo that year, but they are my kids and I can plan around my schedule and I know their personalities inside and out. I can't say the same for other kids. Besides I am pretty sure Elliot wasn't crawling yet and Lilly is definitely on the move these days. Regardless they were great kids to photograph and I am so glad their parents let me enjoy them today.

IMG_4603  IMG_4543


If you want to learn more about my photography or talk to me about taking pictures for your special event please visit www.heathergotlieb.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.