Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Our Favorite Park




It is very rare that I can take the boys out of the house. I really want to take them out each and everyday and share new experiences and show them everything their little minds can take in. The biggest adventures we seem to go on lately are to the park. Everyone told me two kids this close would be hard and I realized it, but I just didn't realize how frustrating it can be trying to coordinate kids, release energy and still maintain a normal nap schedule. We are starting to get it though.

Today was a rare day that Elliot only took a one hour morning nap. Instead of texting or calling of our friends to meet up I decided to go for it and take the boys by themselves and just burn off some energy before our afternoon naps. I can't wait until my life doesn't revolve around naps, but I don't remember how to function without naps in my life.


I have learned my lesson about not taking a stroller with me to the park so I started packing this cheap umbrella stroller and the best part is that Erik loves pushing it so it gets him moving and to the park that much quicker.


One of the things that is bittersweet to me is how much of a little boy Erik has become lately. No longer do I have the time or even have to hover over him at the park. That is the beauty of going to the same place over and over again. You know what trouble your kid can get into and I am now at that point where I can let him roam and pay more attention to Elliot and less to Erik. Erik is really starting to be a good climber and really has a lot of confidence on the playground lately.

With Elliot I just know I am going to be in trouble. He is climbing a lot earlier than his brother and taking just as many risks as Erik too. So all my energy is focused on making sure Elliot stays safe but has an opportunity to climb around. If I held him the entire time at the park he would just start screaming and tantruming until I put him on the ground so he could start exploring everything for himself. With a second child you just have to let it go because they see their siblings doing everything and want to do it as well. So Elliot gets dirty a lot more at this age. Thank goodness he doesn't eat sand! The one good thing about Elliot is that he wants me following him. He is always looking back to make sure I am around.



The park has also been a place for us to learn valuable lessons. Often I let Erik bring his favorite toy or a car to the park because he loves having his cars with him at all times. Last week I let him bring his beloved "Cars" with him knowing that he buries his car in the sand and then tries to find them. Well last week he buried Chick and we just couldn't find him. I looked for 20 minutes and Erik looked too trying to find that car. Then it started to rain and I had to leave. I left the park carrying two hysterical babies, forgot the umbrella stroller that day, and took Erik home without his beloved car. Almost everyday last week Erik asked me if we could go back to the park to look for Chick. So today we finally made it back and instantly he was looking for his car. It had been over a week so obviously it is long gone, but the memory of this kid really amazes me.

And this is our favorite park.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.