Thursday, September 2, 2010

First day alone in preschool

Well preschool is new to me and new to Erik so I like blogging about it. Such a milestone for both of us, that it is capturing my attention right now. So today was Erik's first day of preschool alone. Basically we dropped off the kids in the room at 9 am, said our good-byes then headed to the Chapel to hear all about the preschool and how we are expected to volunteer, the fall activities, etc.

So the morning started off badly. I think I made the mistake of mentioning that daddy was staying home with Elliot and he was just going with me and going to be by himself in the room. He did not like that and refused to get dressed. I had to bribe and threaten him all morning to get dressed, but we finally made it out the door. When we get to our classroom the teacher directed him to his mat, I said a quick good-bye and walked out the door, neither one of us were phased one bit. So Erik gets to be in class for the next 1.5 hours without mommy. This is the first time ever he has been in a program like this without me. Very huge for us.

I go to the Chapel and the pastor of the church is talking to us. I am not religious at all and one of the reasons I choose this preschool is because they said they were associated with the church, but didn't do anything religious in the curriculum. Well it seems to be the attitude of the church. The church is celebrating its 125 year and it is really involved with community whether you choose them for fellowship or not. They asked us to come to a family camp which will have all this fun stuff, but apparently will only have one tiny church thing that we don't even have to attend. They put on a big Halloween festival aimed at kids Elliot and Erik's ages. They have a exercise program with free daycare that I can put the kids into. Basically it is super friendly for parents. I can even volunteer at Erik's school and they have a drop-in day care program where I can put Elliot while I work. It is definitely the right school and the right fit for both of us. I really appreciate the sense of community in this school.

So after this meeting it is time to get the kids. We approach the classroom and all the parents are standing at the window seeing how their children are doing. Erik seems perfectly happy, but when the doors open and parents start rolling in I see this excited happy look as he searches for me. It seriously melted my heart as he made a running hug towards me. I don't get many of those moments since I am home with Erik all the time. So he seemed happy, and told me everything he did at school and then we headed home immediately because I was getting texts from Carl that he needed me home now.

Well today I decided to try a new carpet cleaning company because we have these horrible spots on our downstairs carpet and Erik and Lovey really have messed up our carpets upstairs and downstairs with accidents. They were finishing up when we get home and the carpets are completely soaked and we couldn't walk on them for at least an hour. At the same time I am realizing this, Erik is having an emotional breakdown because his brother dumped all his hot wheels out the dump truck. OK so Erik might have done well in school, but today affected him and this emotional meltdown was only the first of many today. So I was deciding what to do with the carpet situation when I decided to give Erik a "special treat" for his first day of preschool and we headed to Islands. Eating at restaurants is easier for me right now with two kids because I am served food. Serve yourself places are a bit more of a challenge.

So we get to Islands and really that was the best meal with the kids in ages. Erik was behaving, playing with cars, crayons and my iPhone. Elliot was entertained by books, his water and just by me. He is much easier to control at this age than Erik was. The meal arrived promptly and both eat in peace. Simple and no meltdowns. Its funny because I ordered a meal for myself and one for Erik. I gave Elliot half my turkey burger, some broccoli and fries. First off he HATED the mustard on my turkey burger and asked for water every time he got some. He just ate a few of his fries and munched on some broccoli. The fact that he even tried the broccoli is amazing. Erik chowed down on his fries and ate the bun of his burger. He declared that the meat was yucky. No idea, I didn't try it myself.



Then after lunch it was only 11:45 and I couldn't decide if the carpets would be dry enough or if we were cutting it too late for Elliot's nap. He would go down at 11 am if I let him. So I mentioned the word Pinkberry and then tried to lie to Erik that it was not open. Of course in his emotional state it wasn't worth the fight so he got an additional treat today.




Note: All images taken with my iPhone again today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.