Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Erik started preschool, well kinda

This preschool is very interesting. There are a lot of introduction to preschool activities planned before the kids start going 100% by themselves. This morning was very unique and a day I appreciate as a parent. Basically the kids had a half day of preschool while their parents were there. It was a good look into how the kids interact with each other, the environment and to see how comfortable your child will be when he/she starts. Also I knew this was a sneak peek into preschool and one of the only times I am going to get the photograph him there so I brought along my camera.


That first image is Erik with one of his teachers, Mrs. Larson. My first impressions of Erik and preschool is that he is going to completely excel in this environment. He felt very confident speaking up, talking to adults and teachers alike and was in an excited frenzy the entire time he was there. He just loved all the play activities and really responded well to the environment. He told every teacher about Lighting McQueen and how he has one at home. They really responded well him and interacted great with him.



It was interesting watching him interact with other children. There is only one child he knows in his class, Ben. Although his mother and I have never done any playdates together, we have been in a classroom with our boys since birth practically with a year off inbetween when Elliot was born. So Ben and Erik have know each other for a very long time. Here is Erik and Ben playing, I wonder how close they will be or if he will respond to another boy better in the classroom.


Also another interesting thing happened while we were at school. Erik and I went to a mommy and me class all last year and several of the students from that class are in Erik's preschool. I was standing there talking to some of the moms while all the kids from all the classrooms were in the yard playing. We look, and all of the kids who knew each other in school are sitting in the boat together. I find it interesting that they all gravitated to one another even though they only really saw each other in school.


Another thing I found interesting is that Erik is really good at sharing. When he was playing with the playdough there was a pizza cutter and he made "slices" to give to each of the kids. Then he went to several parents and had them eat the pizza. It was cute, but then he got in trouble for not keeping the playdough on the table. I should have stopped him, but I liked him interacting with the kids and parents and sharing.



Erik was definitely excited and listening well to the teachers at school. He tried to leave the classroom a lot to go outside which doesn't surprise me. Also when we all made a potty break and the teacher was lining everyone up to go look at the border flags, Erik was quick to race ahead so Mrs. Larson took his hand and led the way. It was so sweet to watch him just listen and respond to his teacher. He has been such a good listener lately, and I have been so proud of him.


When we were driving home and asked Erik what his favorite thing was during school, he said "when his teacher read a story." Again I thought that was sweet and not surprised. He LOVES circle time and stories. I definitely need to start taking him to the library again this fall.



Also, I wanted to mention that Elliot tagged along with us for the morning and had just as much fun as his brother. I am pretty sure he wants to start school too, but he can't tell me that yet. Little does he know what is in store for him while Erik goes to school. Lots and lots of mommy time!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.