Sunday, January 16, 2011

Keeping the cranky out

I keep saying this, but we're sick. We have been sick for almost 2.5 weeks now. First it was Eliot with a minor cold, then Erik got this super nasty virus that is on its way out. Unfortunately after Elliot's minor cold was finished he also got Erik's nasty virus. In addition Carl is sick and I feel it coming on today. Not a house a healthy person wants to be in right now.

Carl headed off to watch the Bears playoff game today and I after a night of bad insomnia had to watch the boys this morning. I was low on patience and energy and so were the boys. Its movie Sunday and after it was over there was one kid crying after another and at one point I was holding one and then the other would get jealous climb into my lap and insist on being held. I decided to distract them by looking at one of our photo books. While talking about the pictures I saw our old project of shaving cream on the table.

So I suggested to Erik that we do that project and he immediately jumped in excitement, the cough and crying done. It was 80 degrees in the shade today so I thought a perfect morning for this project because we could wash up with the hose and run around in shorts and be comfortable. So out it came.



I did this project with Erik about a year ago and I remember when we tried it he was very confused about what to do with the shaving cream. Also it went into his mouth a few times which was stressful. Elliot is not orally obsessed so no mouth tastes today and Erik had no hesitation on what to do with the shaving cream and dived right in leading his brother on their discovery.

  



It was fun watching them work the table. They just did circle after circle with their hands on the table feeling the smooth silky feel of the shaving cream and exploring how easy it was to move their hands over the table.

  


Now that Erik is 3.5 and has complete control over his body he climbs and experiments with everything. So on the table he went, luckily his brother did not follow.



Let's not forget the moments of putting shaving cream on each other. Erik of course put it on his brother and then Elliot came up to me and decided to put hand prints on both my legs. So now we were all victims of the shaving cream.



Well it was warm enough and even though they were sick it was 90 in the sun today so I thought why not, bring out the hose and let the fun begin. So we washed up and I cleaned off the table so there would be no shaving cream fights and to let them move on to something new.






After we were all dried off and in clean clothes the boys were out of their cranky funk, Erik stopped coughing and they were off and busy. My favorite moment was when they started digging in the dirt together. This is such an opportunity to watch how they interact and see how well they work together. Inevitably Erik tries to control the situation and tell his brother what to do, but he also teaches him as well.





This is probably my favorite moment of the day. We have two patches of dirt in two separate areas. Erik was taking dirt from one spot and moving it to the other, just like his Grandpa does all the time. In this moment Erik is teaching Elliot how to carry the pail so all the dirt doesn't fall out of it and he can dump it out on the spot. This is why I have two children, they can really learn from each other.

 


Here was Erik's goal with all of his dirt moving. One big dirt pile, actually he was trying to make a castle but it didn't work.


Here is probably the best part about the boys being outside and distracted from their illness. I told the boys it was lunchtime and Erik asked for a turkey sandwich. So we had a picnic outside. Erik keeps asking for food, but has hardly eaten anything all week. Today he ate all of his lunch. So he is definitely on the mend, but I think a bit of fresh air and playtime distraction helped.



Let's just say the two boys went down for their naps immediately with very little arguments and no getting out of bed by Erik. I didn't even have to lay down with him today. So a little fresh air is good for that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.