Monday, January 3, 2011

Rainy days are here and never going away

Last month there was a record rain fall here in Southern California and it continues. I usually spend so much of my time outdoors that I am not sure what to do with myself in 40 degree temps and cold rain. It is definitely out of my norm.

Erik just went through a growth spurt and officially grew out of his 3T size. So when I put all of those clothes away I realized how few winter shirts and pants we had for him. So shopping we went and in the process I finally got Erik his rain boots. He picked them out himself, his favorite color yellow.



Now we can officially play in the rain without me freaking out and worrying about them getting their tennis shoes soaked. Elliot is wearing Erik's rain gear from last year, it still a size too big in the feet and jacket but it is doing the job for now.


My kids were stuck inside a house or mall or car all of yesterday so today I decided to send them outside for a bit in their rain gear. I did this with Erik last year and he had so much fun splashing in the puddles. This year completely different. Our backyard has new meaning and new purpose as we redid it. So today what happened was complete confusion. Erik says to me "Mommy everything is wet, we can't play" I told him he had new rain boots on and to go splash in some puddles. He tried it a couple of times.



In the meantime Elliot wandered around in the sprinkling rain completely confused on where to be or what to do and just frowned and walked around. Even my hint to splash in a puddle didn't cheer this guy up. In his defense he is starting to get sick today.

  
  

I did get these boys to pose for one cute rainy day picture that is probably soon going to go on my wall.


Here is Erik begging me to go inside because he didn't understand how he could play in the rain when all of his toys are wet. He is a total ham today.


So rainy day play attempt was a failure, but later when I took out the bikes in the front yard, bikes that were dry, they played and burned it all off. Moral, don't give up after the first failure.

2 comments:

  1. Oh goodness - Elliot in his rain gear is just too adorable! I don't even know if they make rain gear small enough for Micah (size 12-18 month/size 5 shoe - he's tiny!) but I'm gonna try to find some now because that is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, not sure about that sizing. I think we're still 6 months from Elliot fitting into this gear, it is Erik's old gear. The jacket and shoes are each a size too big.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.