Thursday, January 19, 2012

My baby is growing up

When I was navigating parenthood when Erik was 2 one of the mom's told me she switched her little guy to a toddler bed when he told her he wanted a big boy bed. I thought that was perfect and made it my plan for Erik. Unfortunately Erik had other plans in mind, like climbing out of his bed a 100 times a night and never staying in his room when asked, so we put a crib tent on his bed and then when it broke we converted him to a toddler bed. He didn't transition well, he constantly escaped and I would have loved for him to be in a crib until he was over 3 to be honest.

Last November all four of us were in a hotel and I totally forgot to order a crib. I had the brilliant idea to just have Elliot sleep in a bed with Carl and I share a bed with Erik. It.was.a.complete.disaster. He wasn't ready for any bed other than a crib and eventually that night crawled onto the ground and wedge himself between two chairs so he could feel like he was in a crib. I did tell him after that weekend if he was ready for a big boy bed to just let me know and I will buy him a new one.

Elliot is such a different child too. He has been able to climb out of his crib for 9 months, but rarely does. He usually stays in his room until someone gets him and sometimes crawls out when his brother gets him out of his room. I had a sneaky suspicious the bed switch might go better the second time around.

Then one weekend over the course of several days, Elliot told me and Carl he wanted a big boy bed like his brother. I listened and waited for him to change his mind, he never really did. So on a Monday night we went to Ikea and bought a toddler bed instead of converting his bed. They were cheap and cute and a good difference in size for him. We went there at 5 pm and Carl had the bed built by 8 pm.

Elliot slept in his bed that night, a little afraid to get in at first and a little confused. He went none the less and never made a sound the entire night. In the morning he stayed in bed and screamed at us to come get him. It went pretty much the same way for nap and bedtime the next day and the next day, until here we are 2 weeks later and he is fully transitioned. The only complaint is that he seems to be waking up earlier and earlier everyday, but stays in bed until his clock tells him to get up at 6:30.

So my little baby is now officially out of a crib and into a big boy bed. I can't stand this growing up business and want my babies to stay babies forever.

120119IMG_2076

1 comment:

  1. YAY Elliot!

    Audrey hated her crib. We transitioned her a year ago, but she couldn't do the toddler bed. We still had to lay in bed with her, so she moved up to a twin bed right away. She looks so tiny in the bed, even at almost 3.

    Not sure when Annie will move up to a bed. Hopefully soon, so we can get our room back.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.