Thursday, January 19, 2012

Kinder or no Kinder that is the question

Are you going to send Erik to kindergarten or give him a bonus year? I seriously get asked that question about once a day. When you get asked this question as much as I do you really have to think about it constantly. These last two weeks have been worse because Burbank is having their kindergarten information meetings so its on everyone's mind. What is my answer?

Well before our information meeting and a few conversations this week I would say I was leaning towards a bonus year. It was his teacher's recommendation last October and why not give him an extra year to play, that sounds kind of fun. The $750 month bill for Erik and Elliot both in preschool at the same time didn't sound nearly as attractive.

Every person I talk to gives me a different opinion or a different suggestion. Some say definitely give him a bonus year because he is a boy and it is better if you wait a year. Some say, send him to the bonus year program and if he's ready skip him to first grade. Then there are other's who say start him and then transfer in a month if he isn't doing well, or hold him back a year. Others like my mother in law, say he'll be board if you keep him back and he needs to advance. Another opinion, if you hold him back he'll definitely be the oldest kid, almost no one holds back August kids. Then I say to myself, if the cut off was September 1st instead of November 1st I would probably hold him back. In reality this is just a birthday numbers game, what is the difference? Then other say, I was 4 when I went to kindergarten. That is the worse comment of them all because kindergarten is academic and very different than when me or my peers went.

So with all these different points of view it leaves me in the middle. Last month I was leaning more towards bonus year, but after going to the information meeting yesterday I am more towards sending him. Here is the truth. I am signing him up for both and giving him the best shot he has to go to kindergarten next year.

I decided with all these conversations around Erik I had to be honest with him. It was impossible to keep this decision from him. So I told him if he starts practicing his writing, working with glue and scissors and sitting still for projects he can probably go next year. If he isn't interested, then we will give him a bonus year so he can have more time to play. Besides the money, the amount of time he is in school is exactly the same.

Interesting enough putting the power in his hands is a strong motivator for him. He is nowhere near ready, but it doesn't start for another 8 months, and 4 year olds boys are suppose to be bouncing off the walls. Honestly ever since I had this conversation with him, it might be developmental, it might be desire, it might be timing, but he is working more on projects and really putting in the effort.

This morning I decided to stay home with the boys and have more of a learning morning and Erik did stickers for over an hour and then later wrote his name over and over. This is major progress becasue was refusing to write his name even as soon as right before winter break and I can't remember the last time he spent an hour doing anything except watching tv.

120119IMG_2070

120119IMG_2071

120119IMG_2073

120119IMG_2072

When they gave us the list of everything kids need to be doing or practicing by kindergarten I realize Erik was doing everything on the list except sitting for long periods of time. He is even trying to learn how to read right now. So he might not be excelling in writing, but his interest is in other developmental areas.

There are meetings galore until school starts this summer and all Carl and I can do is keep an open mind about our child, make sure he is enrolled in all the programs to keep his options open to make the most educated decision we can come August. For now I am done stressing about it and talking about it. Of course the next time a mom asks me a question about it at the park or in school I can't be rude and say, I refuse to discuss this further. I'll kindly answer the question and try to change the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.