Sunday, January 8, 2012

Nurturing the arts

For ages we have all our kids photobooks sitting on a self along with a book about England and a book about Salvador Dali. Well as you can imagine the Salvador Dali book has tons of pictures and the boys have been captivated by this book reading it everyday, asking us about the pictures and talking about it themselves. Its funny to because when your kid asks you to explain a Salvador Dali picture its a near impossible task. Also I should mention that they dubbed this book, "the scary book," but my 4 year old "LOVES" scary so of course he is obsessed.

Art is a funny thing in our house. Its obviously a big part of our life since I have pictures and prints of my work everywhere and we have art books galore in our house, but there is something natural in there too. I remember a couple years ago sitting at a restaurant with the boys. Erik saw a painting on the wall and had a very emotional reaction to it. At first he HATED it and started screaming about how much he didn't like the painting, but the more we sat there the more he looked at it and started liking it. So from a very young age Erik has noticed and reacted to art.

This is something I definitely want to nurture and something I appreciate in his personality. Since the boys were so obsessed with art Carl remembered that LACMA had a program where the kids could go for free and the parent gets to go with them. I knew today was the day to go, it just made sense.

This program is actually really neat. For free the boys can go to LAMCA and other participating art museums for free until they are 17 year old and are allowed one adult with them. This makes it super easy to go an hour, 20 minutes, 10 minutes or whatever you kids can take before you go crazy. Really its an awesome program to develop early art lovers.


So this morning we decided to take them, maybe not the best idea since Elliot was up at 5:30 and Erik following that much later with a 9 pm bedtime. We all hopped in the car as soon as Erik's gymnastics were over and headed over. In reality we should have checked the time because we got there 20 minutes early, oy!

It didn't go too well to be honest. Erik touched a couple of exhibits and the art we did see was kind of boring even to me. When we finally got to something I like they were too hungry to continue. At least it was free and we can come back another day.

Their favorite was the outside display of hanging tubes. They couldn't get enough of it.

 

They also loved these colorful benches.



My favorite part apparently was the children's art gallery where we got to paint. I think I might have made more painting than the kids.

photo (2)

photo (4)


My favorite story of the day was about The Scream. There was a toy called The Screamer and Erik got obsessed with it and kept talking about it and whined that we wouldn't buy it for him. On the way home I showed him the actual painting and we had a very long discussion about that painting. So the museum might have been too soon for these boys, but we did have some moments of clarity and learning in there.

Oh and I finally got to eat at some food trucks. I have never been to a fancy one since the fad started after I stopped working full-time.

photo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.