Sunday, February 12, 2012

Our last morning living on the beach

The weather hasn't been perfect this vacation, but that's ok. We've made the most of it with hiking, beach walks, shaved ice and morning excursions to different areas of the island. This morning though we realized how little time we actually spent at the beach in our backyard so we decided we were going nowhere. Seriously, the minute I woke up today I put on my swim suit determined to hit the ocean and make the most out of our time here.

We lucked out and the nicest day, or morning, was the morning we decided to spend at the beach. It was a perfect 80 degrees with the sun out and the sun was out most of the time, it never rained and the beach wasn't crowded, it was deserted.  Did I mention we are staying at one of the last undeveloped areas of Oahu, there are no hotels and hardly any tourist and I LOVE it. We couldn't have asked for a better time.

We started off the morning walking on the beach with the boys and just looking at the wildlife. No turtle this morning, we have seen several swimming in the ocean nearby. Then we headed back where Grandma and Grandpa were reading on the beach and had a good old fashioned beach morning.

It started with digging a great big hole with grandpa.

120212IMG_2782

Did I mention that Elliot has been sick this trip, I think he has a sinus infection since he has been sick for almost 3 week straight, and today he was super grumpy at the beach. He specifically asked me to not take pictures of him today. None of my kids have ever said that to me!

120212IMG_2764

120212IMG_2797

Then Carl and Erik played beach ball while everyone watched. After being at this beach house there are two things we are getting for our own house now. A ping pong table and these paddles that include velcro and tennis balls.

120212IMG_2799

Erik dove into the hole and did many army moves that entertained us all. I am shocked that he didn't nap today with how much he moved this morning, but we didn't push it since we have to leave at 5 am tomorrow!!

120212IMG_2820

Elliot finally cheered up and played in the ocean. My favorite moment with him is sitting on my lap while the waved lapped over us and yelling "here comes a big one" giggles galore and so much fun with a two year old, even when the poor guy is sick.

120212IMG_2827


Then grandpa saw me and Erik splashing around and body surfing so he got the bright idea to get the body boards out. It took me a few minutes to realize, duh this is too adorable and I should take pictures instead of body surfing myself. I did enjoy it for a good 10 minutes before I made the switch. We definitely have a future surfer in training. He even did a flip under water and it didn't phase him and he was ready for more.

120212IMG_2841    120212IMG_2845

120212IMG_2851

120212IMG_2854

120212IMG_2861

We rounded out the day with shaved ice, ping pong, movies and packing. Seems like a good day to me and makes me what to come here again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.