Friday, February 3, 2012

Elliot, Two Year Old Sneak Preview

Been busy over here with Elliot book and life. I am not getting on to blog as much as I would like and I have tons of idea for blogs. For now I will show you what I have been working on, Elliot's upcoming book.

I decided to go for a minimalist approach to Elliot's book and not squeeze in 10 million pictures. I am using negative space instead of bleeding the pages of the book for the first time. I am also trying to make it look more like a book and less like a scrapbook with the use of similar headers throughout. The other thing I am doing is using the center divider for the two page spreads so some of my images will bleed over the page. I have no idea if I am going to like the result, but at some point you have to experiment because if you don't its boring and static forever.

Here are each of the two pages spreads I have finished so far. My workflow is very different for me this time. Usually I rush to go from page to page just grouping pictures and putting them onto a page. This time I am carefully going through each image, double checking my color and editing and then finally doing an export to the book. Once I layout the book I am making sure my image spacing is perfect before going onto the next page. Usually I save all the image spacing until the very end and its a tedious job that takes me days to finish and I am never very careful. I definitely prefer my new method more!

Two more months to finish this thing, and right now I am only in month one of Elliot being two. I have a 5 hour plane ride to work on this Monday so I am not too worried about it.


Elliot-Two2 copy

Elliot-Two5 copy

Elliot-Two4 copy

Elliot-Two3 copy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.