Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Elliot Two Year Doctors Appointment

I messed up a bit on this appointment. I forgot to schedule it until two weeks before his birthday so we were late in getting in. Then I lost my sitter so I couldn't ask her to watch Erik while I took Elliot and Carl doesn't have a job anymore that allows him to work from home easily so I can't ask him to stay home and watch Erik either so I braved it, a doctors appointment with two boys in the middle of their full of energy play time. It didn't go well.

I came prepared with both their computers, food, water anything to keep them away from the toys that all the sick kids played on. I even explained to Erik that he can't put his fingers in his mouth because he'll get sick and have an asthma attack, so guess what happened.

110504IMG_8287

110504IMG_8288

They just ran wild around the waiting room. See one child I can control and manage the energy level, its when you have more than one it gets a bit crazy. Its not because they want to misbehave, but my boys just feed off of each other's energy in a hyper way making it 10 times more stressful than just taking one child.

Finally, after hurrying up to make it to his appointment we get called into the back 30 minutes later and I am already exhausted! Then we do all of Elliot's measurements and there is nothing cuter than watching a 2 year old getting measured.

110504IMG_8290

Here are his stats which always surprise me because I expect my kids to be taller, but they are just not growing tall. 

Height: 34.5 in (49%) Erik wanted to be measured for height too and he was 41 inches. Good to know!
Weight: 31 lbs (82%)
Head: 19.5 cm (70%)

Then we wait for the doctor which is even harder with two boys. The toys I brought sat in my bag since they had zero interest in playing with them, but again the iPhone saves the day. I love how that thing will stop them in their tracks and give them 5-10 minutes of mellow time. I am not a big fan of video games and don't want them for my kids, but educational iPhone games hit the mark more often than not.

110504IMG_8299

110504IMG_8295

110504IMG_8304

110504IMG_8303

I did make the mistake of putting Elliot on the table while waiting for the doctor. I wonder if any 2 year old can sit on an exam table without tearing the paper to shreds. Unfortunately my 3 year old got in on the action as well today.

110504IMG_8293

110504IMG_8292

The good news is that Mr. Elliot only needs one immunization today and he is good for another couple years. Erik showed him his sticker and distracted him while he got the shot. Elliot didn't even flinch and barely noticed. He definitely didn't shed a tear, but Erik had a look of horror on his face watching his brother get a shot. It's pretty adorable that he got so worried about his brother.

110504IMG_8298

I debated whether to put this on my blog but mostly family reads it so I am adding this for you. We did get some bad news today at the appointment. The doctor heard a heart murmur so she recommended we go to a pediatric cardiologist and just double check to make sure everything is ok. Carl, his mom and sister all suffer from this problem so I am trying to keep perspective, but it is still scary news to hear that your baby isn't perfect. I'll update on that appointment after we go. 

On Wednesday mornings we usually go to storytime with our friends and hit the park afterwards. Today Elliot's appointment was during storytime and it was almost 90 degrees out so the park wasn't really a good idea. So our friends invited us over for a quick playdate letting everyone get their usual friend time in. It also served as a good bribe when I remembered to threaten the kids at the doctors appointment with their playdate. 

110504IMG_8307

110504IMG_8308

Yes, Erik is falling under the table while sitting on the ball. Lately he is the class clown and tries to get a good laugh from everyone and had the kids cracking up by the end of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.