Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Call me crazy, but since I spent all day everyday with my children on Mother's Day all I really want is an hour or two to myself no questions asked. I never get a lot of personal space these days and its like a dream to have it in the middle of the day. So here I sit with that personal space and what do I do, I blog. I just can't help it.

Carl and I have developed a routine about Mother's and Father's day. With children this young it is nice to not be in control for the day. So the other person takes control. That means all the potty visits, getting dressed, cooking, cleaning, etc the other person does. I am not saying I didn't do anything for my kids, I did take Erik potty once, but it is nice to just relax for one day and let the other person take care of it. I would probably take that over any jewelry any day right now. A new camera might beat that gift, but that is just a major wish list item or maybe Christmas... I am dreaming of full frames cameras theses days.

So this morning I didn't really get to sleep in because we had to head off around 9 am to Ventura County. We had brunch at 11 with Carl's parents, but also Erik has been complaining that his feet hurt and he has XXW feet so Stride Rite seems to be my best choice for stores. I vowed never to go anywhere but the outlet mall since I get them for 50% off. So for mother's day I got my boys new tennis shoes, but grateful because Elliot's were a size too small and he had been complaining of cramped toes and I didn't believe him. Mom's are wrong sometimes.

We have been practicing at restaurants a lot lately. Three restaurants in three days and instead of getting crazy while they eat, my boys behavior is getting better. Elliot sat without a booster or highchair just fine, like he did at dinner last night and Erik didn't need any extras minus a little car I gave to him because brunch wasn't ready when we got to the Country Club.

110508IMG_8380


110508IMG_8382


110508IMG_8384


110508IMG_8388


Then Gramdma took them for a walk around the Country Club while I had adult conversation. They saw ducks and golfers, sounds about right.

110508IMG_8389


110508IMG_8391


110508IMG_8392

Then a joy ride on a golf cart. Erik even got to steer.

110508IMG_8393


110508IMG_8396


110508IMG_8401


110508IMG_8404


110508IMG_8406


110508IMG_8408


For mother's day its about family, good food and taking a moment off. I'll take it this year, although my kids haven't said Happy Mother's Day once. Maybe next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.