Monday, May 2, 2011

My little brother, my protector

Every Monday for the last couple months Erik has had soccer practice. Then because you can't deny a kid his friends because his little brother needs to make a nap, we stay an extra 20-30 minutes and I let the boys play at the playground with all of their friends. Its very sweet because one of Erik's friends from preschool is there during soccer and I get to witness how their friendship is growing every week from seeing each other a little extra.

110307IMG_6284

Well today per our usual, all the boys headed to the playground right after their soccer practice and Erik and Elliot headed straight for the stairs. There was another boy up there, I am guessing about a year older than Erik, on the jungle gym. I am noticing this with older boys and Erik, they like to be bossy and control him. It makes Erik upset and he starts getting mad or sad. It actually has happened twice now with aggressive boys and I am still learning the best way to deal with this behavior.

When this was happening today, I was watching very closely to make sure Erik responded appropriately and that the boy doesn't try something too aggressive. Elliot was standing right next to Erik witnessing the whole verbal exchange. What was happening is that Erik was holding two sticks and the child was trying to communicate to Erik that he wanted them, but Erik didn't want to give them up and the other child was being very persistent in wanting them. What happened next is what shocked me and made me write this.

Here, is my two year old, who looks up to his big brother and loves him dearly and doesn't know how to control his emotions yet. All he see's is his brother being bullied a bit and then his brother yelling back. I was just about to run up on the jungle gym to interfere with the two boys when all of a sudden, Elliot start hitting the other boy. I could tell immediately Elliot was doing it to protect Erik. Although hitting wasn't an appropriate response and I made him apologize to the little boy, inside I was smiling a bit and this is why. My boys love each other so much, that when something was happening to his older brother, Elliot's first instinct was to protect him. I remember feeling like this as a kid and protecting my little brother and sister without thinking about the risk to myself. I would threaten boys twice my size just to make sure my siblings were safe.

110202IMG_5275


I had actually forgot about this incident at the park and went on with my routine of the day, but when we got home Erik really caught on to the words I used with Elliot. When Elliot hit I said, "Elliot I know you were protecting your brother, but it is not ok to hit this boy so I need you to tell him your sorry." When we were reading book for Elliot's nap Erik couldn't stop saying to his brother, "Elliot I love you so much and I want to protect you and keep you safe. Its my job to protect you."

Now I don't want Erik to bear the burden of being his brother's keeper and protector, but I do want them to love and watch out for each other. Secretly I smile to myself, but I know this was the first in a long battle of the boys versus other children in their life. Also to disclaim, the mother of the aggressive child instantly came over there with me and watched how her son was acting and made sure he behaved. I love it when parents get it and don't tune out to their child's actions even when they are with friends at the park.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great story heather!!! Thanks so much for sharing. Makes me tear up thinking about it. And so excited to see my girls grow up and interact this way too.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.