Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mule Days in Bishop

I think it was Carl interest in Mule Days that originally got us thinking about June Lake for Memorial Day weekend. He has been talking about it for a while and has always been curious so we decided to stop on our way. Me, I didn't think it would be that great, but thought it was worth checking out since we were heading up there.

We get there and parking is free and the "shopping" area is free, but that is all that is there. You can walk around looking at the animals, pay a fee to go to the grandstand, but it was seriously boring. It was about 1/4 the size of the Ventura County Fair, the small one in Southern California, and besides looking at Mules there was nothing to do. Maybe if we went when there was a major event going on we would feel differently, but for the general public, eh, I could have done without.

For us it ended up being a good rest and run around pit stop for the boys before heading to June Lake. We ate lunch, pizza, drank LOTS of lemonade and just basked in the sunshine.

110527IMG_8573

110527IMG_8578

110527IMG_8582

Then while we were having a popcorn treat Grandma and Grandpa mysteriously showed up, well not really it was planned, but we surprised the kids. So we walked around seeing what Mule Days was all about and said thank goodness we checked it out on the way up the mountain because we would have been mad if we drove down from June Lake to visit it.

110527IMG_8597

110527IMG_8601

110527IMG_8586

In case you were wondering, here are the mules which are a cross between a donkey and horse and they don't reproduce.

110527IMG_8591

110527IMG_8588

110527IMG_8584

110527IMG_8599

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.