Sunday, July 3, 2011

4th of July Weekend, Take 1

I can honestly say 4th of July has always been one of my favorite holidays. I loved that it is always warm, but summer has just started so its not overly sweltering.  I especially love all the flavors of summer, strawberries, watermelon, ice cold lemonade and a refreshing cold beer as I got older. It is also a holiday right in the middle of summer and means lots of fun times still to be had.

When I was a teenager I grew up in Sacramento where fireworks were legal. My favorite memory was getting several families together at our friend's The Millers and pooling our fireworks. Amongst us we must of had $200-300 worth every year. One by one we would put on a show that would last hours including sparklers, piccolo pete, the flower, the pinwheel and so may more I can't even remember them anymore. The family who hosted would even go fancy and bring in the bottle rockets from Mexico. They were exciting because they were illegal, but never really did much.

As I moved away from Sacramento and grew older these weekends of fireworks and family became less and less. We would bbq with friends, spend the day at the beach, sit in the park and watch the fireworks. I remember one year I was visiting Carl in Illinois and we were at his family farm and I wanted to see the fireworks so badly and went outside for a closer look. I had no clue about mosquitoes being a California girl, and was eaten alive. It just was never the same all those 4th of July's after we left Sacramento and I left my childhood behind.

So now the 4th just means spending time with friends and family and whoever wants to be with us. My kids don't have cousins yet, so we just try to get in as much Grandparent time as possible. This weekend we have two parts planned. We just spent a day in Ojai swimming and bbqing and just enjoying family and then tomorrow my mom is coming over to watch the fireworks from my front yard. My brother and sister are both out of town now so no extra big family celebration this year. Maybe when we have some cousins around...

So here are just a few of the things we did while up in Ojai the last couple days. I was super excited to finally put our swim lessons to use and Elliot was more than happy to practice and even swam a bit. Erik of course was resistant and wouldn't do anything. At least he played in the water which is all I can ask sometimes.

110702IMG_9074

110702IMG_9075  110702IMG_9077

110702IMG_9090

110702IMG_9094  110702IMG_9104


It's not a true 4th of July weekend unless you are shucking corn.

110702IMG_9109  

110702IMG_9110

110702IMG_9113
Elliot was trying to sneak a bit of corn!

There is also the tradition of fresh lemonade which my boys go crazy for. Grandma was good and didn't put too much sugar in it.

110702IMG_9130

Fishing by the pool seems to be a new tradition as well.

110702IMG_9133

110702IMG_9134

110702IMG_9084

Grandpa's famous dives that make Lovey go crazy, but in this case it was more of a flip than a dive.

110702IMG_9088  110702IMG_9089

Any 4th of July isn't complete without a little ice cream and this was a funny story. Erik ate his up and then went up to Elliot and asked him for his. I of course thought Elliot would say no, I guess he was full and decided it would be fun to start feeding his brother his ice cream. Precious!

110702IMG_9137

110702IMG_9145

110702IMG_9142

110702IMG_9155

The boys went down for their bedtime fairly easy that night considering they were at their grandparents.  The next morning Erik got to see the new "Cars" movie with daddy and Grandma and Elliot, Grandpa and I stayed back to play around the orchard. This is how we entertained ourselves.

First a walk around the orchard, but since it was very rainy this year it is filled with weeds making a walk a challenge for a 2 year old. He gave it his best shot before turning around.

110703IMG_9159

110703IMG_9161

110703IMG_9162

Then a stop at the tractors, only one visit though because it was hot and he didn't want to sit on them today.

110703IMG_9163

Grandpa was working on getting his Model A ready for a parade tomorrow so we stopped by the car barn. I have to give a shout out to my father-in-law. In his 60s he built this entire barn all by himself. It is very impressive and well done.

110703IMG_9166

110703IMG_9168

A little ride on this big wheel which he is obsessed with and wears this kid out! Grandpa got it at a garage sale for $2 and these kids have had hours of fun on it.

110703IMG_9171

110703IMG_9172

110703IMG_9176

The local life, a turkey vulture and Lovey Smith who followed us all over the orchard on our adventure this morning.

110703IMG_9174

110703IMG_9173

A little side information about Elliot, he is really good mechanically. It is amazing what this kid figures out. The other day I watched him play with the remote, he knew how to turn on the tv and if he aimed it right he would have gotten a channel on no problem. No one has ever shown him this. On this day he was figuring out the fishing rod and I was seriously impressed watching him study it and figure out how to turn the rod to wrap the string. No one showed him and he figured it out. I think this is the area he is excelling in the most, his engineering, figuring things out skill.

110703IMG_9178  110703IMG_9177

110703IMG_9181

110703IMG_9182  110703IMG_9184

Here are my two favorite moments of the visit. My first isn't pictured since I am the one who takes the pictures. I finally got Erik to float on me in the pool and he just laid on my and then it turned into goofy fun play. When it was over he said "I had fun floating with you today, thank you mommy." It is moments like those that will be gone way too fast. The second moment is watching Elliot do laps in his big wheel around the pool. He is getting so fast on his feet.

110703IMG_9187

110703IMG_9190

110703IMG_9195

As I look at these picture it reminds me that although I have these precious memories of my childhood 4th of July parties that I will forever cherish and value, I am making new memories with my children and these are the memories they will look back upon and remember with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.