Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tracy's Maternity Pictures

I will admit that I haven't been shooting much professionally these days. I just don't have the energy or desire to market myself right now, but I still like to try every once in a while and keep my skill set strong. I have a few pregnant friends and have offered each one of them an opportunity for maternity pictures. So far only Tracy took me up on the offer, but it was fun to get out there and shoot her that day.

It was a bit of a challenge, two young girls, a husband who would rather talk to the girls than just smile, and the time of day that worked wasn't ideal, but was good for the kids temperament. We decided to take these pictures at Tracy's house in front of her garden. It made the girls more comfortable to be home, but also Tracy has worked really really hard on her garden so I thought it would be fun to include those in the picture.

It was fun working with Molly and Keeley that day. They were a bit troublesome at some moments, but I think because they know me and are comfortable with me so they responded really well to what I asked of them. I did keep the session short and only chose one spot instead of moving around so the kids wouldn't get too bored. I also decided to use my strobes that day instead of a reflector as the fill light. Definitely need more practice working with the strobes, but every opportunity gets me closer to what I want.

Here are some of my favorites from my short session that day.

110730IMG_0020  110730IMG_0033

110730IMG_0029

110730IMG_0028

110730IMG_0062

110730IMG_0058

110730IMG_0091

110730IMG_0112  110730IMG_0123

2 comments:

  1. Nice pictures Heather! What strobes are you using? Tracy's belly is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting enough I am using my speedlight flashes, but taking them off camera and using and lightstand and umbrella. I have a speedlight 540 and 580 or something like that. Its challenging since I have to use the flash on manual and I definitely need practice, but it gives me some additional flexibility.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.