Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Cards Pictures

I am still thinking about those black and whites for my house in the meantime my studio was up so we did our Christmas card picture and I offered up my studio to my friends this year. Here is the final picture we choose for our Christmas card.


A very close contender for our Christmas card was this image. One of the only reasons I didn't choose it is because last year for our Christmas card I had a leaning picture of the boys which was extremely cute and I didn't want a repeat of the same thing.




So some of you might be wondering how I got these images with the boys looking natural and all in focus. A couple of tricks and the main one is that I used a tripod. I prefocused on my husband who was sitting in place. Then I set my camera to a high F-stop so everyone was sure to be in focus. I didn't have a remote so I took the pictures with a timer and we could see the light blinking. So as we got ready to take the picture the entire family would say something funny or just pose for the picture. We knew the precise moment it was being taken. As for why my boys look so natural, I have no clue. They get photographed all the time and had been in my studio already so they are use to it I guess. Whatever happened, we just got a lot of good pictures of our family this year. I will say I timed these pictures after dinner when everyone was in a good mood and happy so there were no cranky meltdown. Oh and we bribed the 3-year-old with candy.






Here are a few photos I took of my friends. The first was a bit of a challenge because my friend's 3-year-old daughter did not want to have her picture taken and was just making faces the entire time. I think she just wanted to play with the boys and was being a pain so we would stop.





The next friend I photographed I really liked how she dressed the girls. One of the girls was wearing a dress and the other was wearing a skirt of the same print. Unfortunately since most of the pictures I take are 1/2 body we really couldn't see the skirt most of the time.


  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.