Sunday, December 26, 2010

The Eve of Tradition

This is the first year where Erik got Christmas and was totally excited by the idea of Santa and getting presents. It is also the first year for us to make up traditions that will stick for a lifetime of memories. One tradition that started last year and I want to keep, is decorating cookies on Christmas Eve for Santa. Since we were spending the evening at Uncle Glenn's and Aunt Annie's house I thought this would be the perfect tradition to start. And maybe if my brother ever has kids of his own, we'll just continue the tradition with his kids. So we brought all the fixing and headed over to his house.

Erik did an ok job of decorating last year, didn't really get it so Elliot who is younger I figured really wouldn't get it, but I would give it my best shot. Erik on the other hand is a little chef and did a great job of not eating the dough and eating just a little bit of candy when decorating the cookies. I have to admit that I was amazed at how little that candy went in his mouth.



We had a bunch of extra cookies so I asked Glenn and Annie to join in the fun. Glenn was too busy cooking dinner, but Annie played along to the spirit of the event!


As all good cookie making goes, you are allowed to have a little nibble to sample the product.


Here are pictures of my little artist. He really has a gift in the kitchen and loves working on all sorts of kitchen project. Art projects not so much, but the gooey kitchen projects draw him in.


 

The final product of all our cookie decorating skills. I need to add that I wasn't going to decorate cookies this year, but Erik sees his baby books and sees the pictures all year long and I think remembered that we decorated cookies last year. So he insisted that we do it this year. I am not one to argue with logic and tradition. Even if I am boycotting sweets this year.


The rest of the evening we talked with our family and watched Christmas movies. We only could stay a few hours because our littlest ones needed to get to bed to get ready for the big man to visit. So we played, decorated, ate and then said our good-byes until tomorrow.


Let'e not forget the most important part, here are the cookies we left for Santa on Christmas Eve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.