Sunday, December 12, 2010

Holiday Light Extravaganza

Ok maybe it wasn't really that big of a deal when compared to other families, but Carl and I have been home owners for eight years and have never hung Christmas lights. I knew last year was probably the last year we could get away with not doing it as Erik would be older and be more interested in Christmas things this year. I was right, Erik was totally aware of what was going on this year.

I am not sure why we never hung light before. I think it might be because Carl doesn't remember his father hanging lights as a child and has no warm childhood memories to push him. As for me I have very vivid memories of my father hanging those lights every year and the excitement of coming home and seeing Christmas outside my house. That is probably why my brother made sure to hang lights the first year in his first house, it is tradition in the Gotlieb family.

Today was a gorgeous 80 degree winter day and I couldn't waste it by having the boys hang around inside while giving daddy space to put up the lights by himself. Instead I brought out the bikes, wagon and just let the kids explore. There were two rules, they couldn't leave driveway and they couldn't go back inside the house. The second rule was mostly for Erik who kept trying to sneak back inside.





It is nice having the boys a bit older. I moved my car out of the drive way so they rode bikes, but they also explored what was going on. Amazingly they didn't get in daddy's way at all. They did explore the lights and equipment in their own way, but everyone was content to just be outside and enjoy the gorgeous day.


 




It's amazing what creative and exploring minds these children have. I brought them outside, but besides their bikes I didn't bring out any toys. I just wanted them to work their imaginations and explore their yard. It is fascinating what these kids will come up with out of nothing. Even an old empty jar gives them a chance to have fun.





When we first went outside, Elliot was in awe of everything going on around him. Some of our neighbors were also putting up their Christmas lights. Since he was sitting so nicely I decided to take out my reflector and try for some portraits. This is the best shot I got. Of course the reflector becomes a toy too.





Just something cute to note. Erik got a brand new bike at a garage sale yesterday, only $15 for this old classic trike in great condition. Well he is obsessed with riding it everywhere and today was carting his grapes all around our driveway and pretending he was characters from "Cars" movie of course.



All this outside time was excellent for the boys. After a quick trip to Home Depot for more supplies, these guys were in bed napping within 10 minutes of being there. I think Elliot was asleep before his head hit the pillow. Just a reminder to myself of how important outside time is for these little guys.

Here are just some snapshot of the final product and some of the little details of our Christmas decorations this year just in case you can't stop by and see for yourself.





This is our neighbors house from today. Both worked on their yards and were finishing up today. Tonight on our way home from dinner we drove around looking at Christmas lights. It looks like many families were busy this weekend putting up their Christmas lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.