Monday, August 1, 2011

Elliot's first visit to the dentist

It took me a while to find a dentist I wanted Erik to visit and even then I procrastinated on calling. Erik is already on track with his dentist visits, so such is the life of a second child, when his 6 month checkup came upon us, I just added Elliot on to his visit. In comparison, Elliot is going a whole year earlier than his brother went to the dentist for the very first time.

I had no clue how today would go, Elliot is only 2 years, 3 months and rather unpredictable in these situations. So I asked Carl to go with us just so I could make sure to take pictures and Elliot responds better to Carl than me in these stressful situations, an extra layer of comfort.

The best part of this facility is the waiting room. It is truly meant for kids and true to form these days I showed up 15 minutes late to our appointment (I always push it by trying to find street parking) and the receptionist didn't even blink an eye. So we waited 10 minutes and got to have some waiting room fun, which is unpredictable with my 4 year old these days.

110801IMG_0128

110801IMG_0130

110801IMG_0135

First up was Erik who is always so well behaved in these situations. He did everything the dentist and hygienist asked of him and didn't put up an once of protest. He was a perfect example for his brother on how to get his teeth cleaned.

110801IMG_0139

110801IMG_0143

Elliot watched from his daddy's lap and the more he watched the grumpier he got.

110801IMG_0138

110801IMG_0144

Then it was our little guy's turn and as I predicted, he wouldn't sit in the chair by himself so daddy sat with him because he would have demanded daddy, but it also makes my life easier and allows me to take pictures.

110801IMG_0146

110801IMG_0147

After he was able to sit with his daddy it wasn't too bad. He never cried or fussed. He did have a bit of trouble with the concept of opening his mouth and keeping it open for the hygienist to work, but I have that problem everyday when I brush his teeth. They told us the usual, teeth looked good, floss, and that his 2 year molars aren't in which we knew. They cleaned him up and he was good to go. No fluoride this visit because we were too afraid he would swallow it.

110801IMG_0148

110801IMG_0149

110801IMG_0150

110801IMG_0151

110801IMG_0153

110801IMG_0158

110801IMG_0163

110801IMG_0167

110801IMG_0172

Its tradition at this office that new patients take a picture with their dental stuffed animals, but Elliot wasn't too happy with the idea. It meant getting off of daddy's lap, but once he got to brush the teeth he was all smiles.

110801IMG_0174

110801IMG_0176

110801IMG_0180

We also saw a different dentist in the office, not Dr. Zinna, but I actually liked her more and thought the kids responded to her better, and Dr. Zinna is pretty great. So we'll definitely be back to this place every six months.

110801IMG_0181

In all, a great visit for a barely two year old who is going through separation issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.