Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Erik's "actual" birthday

Its funny, but I am not sure how it started, but we separated Erik's birthday into "party" and "actual" birthday.  So here is what he did on his "actual" birthday day.

When his birthday was coming up I took Erik to Toys R Us one afternoon because I was looking for a new baby gate and decided to have him tell me specifically what he wanted for his birthday. I was surprised when he pointed out a parking garage and that he wanted one of those so I got him one, not the one he saw but a bigger and better one. So the night before his birthday I spent 3 hours putting this thing together.

I guess Erik went downstairs before he crawled into our bed that morning and said to me, "Mommy Santa was here and brought me the parking garage I saw at Toys R Us." I had let it sit in the living room so he could get surprised the next morning. I explained it was from mommy and daddy and we were giving it to him for his birthday, and Santa only comes on Christmas. I will tell you that I was excited that he liked his present and is consistently playing with it. Money and time not wasted, whew!!

110822IMG_0490

110822IMG_0493

110822IMG_0494

I had planned on a big morning of the zoo or travel town or just something he would really like. What happened is nothing. He just wanted to stay home. I really wanted to go to the gym and Elliot had gymnastics that day. So we went to the gym where the really nice man at the front desk gave him a dollar for his birthday. Then we tried to go to gymnastics, but it was closed and we couldn't get in. Instead we headed to the grocery store and then the park. While at the grocery store Erik learned the value of a dollar and that he could trade his dollar for peanut m&ms. Let me tell you, this boy was excited to get candy!

After going to the park I had planned on making Erik's birthday cake. I know you are suppose to do it for someone, but Erik LOVES cooking and making a cake is special to him so we got everything together and baked. Elliot helped, but I didn't get any pictures of him. Erik was a very big boy and cracked opened the eggs all by himself that day. He even stirred the coco and butter.

110822IMG_0498

110822IMG_0496

110822IMG_0502

Then after nap I told him he could decorate his cupcakes. I had a bunch of sugar candies he could put on it and he thought it was the best idea ever and had lots of fun with it.

110822IMG_0513

110822IMG_0515

110822IMG_0508  110822IMG_0524

110822IMG_0526

We did it reverse order since Erik was obsessed with his presents. We opened presents first and then cake. Erik's grandparents came over that day to celebrate his "actual" birthday.

110822IMG_0530

110822IMG_0536

110822IMG_0534  

110822IMG_0542

110822IMG_0537

110822IMG_0547

When all is said and done, Erik liked his $3 sticker Doc Hudson way more than his parking garage, but I probably knew that before he even opened his presents.

After cake and presents we went out for a family walk and bike ride. Erik's rule is that he walks his bike across the street because often I am dealing with both kids and its safer for all of us if he does it that way than risking a fall while crossing the street.

110822IMG_0552  110822IMG_0562

110822IMG_0557  110822IMG_0556

Just a fun birthday with lots of time with family. Simple yet sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.