Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Coloring Easter Eggs; I really didn't want to this year

I will fully admit that Easter is not my holiday. I never celebrated it when just Carl and I were married, not even a visit or a dinner with family. I have never given my kids an Easter basket although I do plan on it this year. I am just not a religious person and feel like this is a very religious holiday and I best respect it by leaving it alone

So its no surprise that I had no real plans to color Easter eggs with the children. Here it is a few days before Easter and I have no official coloring kit and no plans to do so. I bought baskets yesterday when I was at a party store, but that is the extent. I have nothing to fill these baskets yet. Then mommy guilt sinks in and I have to admit that coloring eggs is an art project and I loved doing it as a kid so I assessed my supplies.

I had food coloring, vinegar and water. I didn't have plastic cups, but the glass worked fine. In an effort to be fair to my kids and give them some memories of Easter I boiled 8 eggs this morning, put out the supplies so they would accessible and told Erik we would color eggs after nap at some point. There I didn't it, no turning back once I tell Erik who has an incredible memory.

110420IMG_7792

110420IMG_7793

So in my style I lined them up for a photographic adventure and started it off with a group picture. It is impossible to get both of these kids smiling at the same time at the camera, but I gave it my best. The hand on the head shot is when I said something about my hair to get them to both look at the same time.

110420IMG_7799

110420IMG_7796

Then we're off and the color adventure begins. I am leery because lately all our coloring and painting projects are a disaster and big mess, but this is must in a child's memories so I relent. 

110420IMG_7804

110420IMG_7806  110420IMG_7820

110420IMG_7808

110420IMG_7812

110420IMG_7822

110420IMG_7823

110420IMG_7824

110420IMG_7830

As I probably could have predicted eight eggs for four different color is just not enough, but making tons of hard boiled eggs we probably won't eat kills me. So I take out the real thing. I explain to the boys they need to be extra careful. Erik gets it, Elliot grabs for the eggs roughly.

110420IMG_7832

This is Erik copying the face he made when Elliot grabbed the egg roughly. He got really worried about it breaking, my future chef. Didn't capture that moment on camera, but we copied it.

110420IMG_7834

Then because we are dealing with food and I never feed my boys hard boiled eggs I let them try it. Elliot loves it and called it yummy and surprisingly Erik does too, another victory for the day!

110420IMG_7836  110420IMG_7840

110420IMG_7838  110420IMG_7847

110420IMG_7841

Just to note we successfully colored the "real" eggs with no breaks or bruises and the boys enjoyed themselves. No major messes, stained clothes and now we have fun eggs to cook with this week. How cool is that?

110420IMG_7849

110420IMG_7851

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful record of a childhood memory they (and you) will cherish forever. I agree with you; the lighting in the pictures is exquisite. :) Great body of work, Heather!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.