Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Portraits

I couldn't resist. I saw these outfits at Target and knew it was going to be a cool enough day on Easter for them to wear them. Since my boys are still young enough I have to dress them up alike while I can because I know there is only a couple more years I can get away with it.

So after I put on these outfits I thought the colors looked really good on them that I HAD take portraits. Of course when I decided this it was noon and Erik has a big bruise on his face from wrestling with his brother, but nothing is ever perfect.

Some days my kids cooperate and some days they just are sick of pictures. I tried everything I could to get my kids to cooperate and take pictures together. On their own they did fantastic and took the cutest pictures ever. It took only a few snaps and knew I got what I want. For the group shot it was nearly impossible! I burned through so many pictures and never got what I wanted. I even bribed them with candy and it still didn't work. It was just one of those days when they feed off each other's energy in a weird way.

As for the lighting it was mid-day, but I found shade and then it started to get overcast. Honestly the best conditions I could hope for in the 10 minutes I had to plan this thing. I found a spot in my backyard that had cement nearby so the light would bounce up on their face and flowers in the background to add a bit of spring and Easter flare. Not my best work, but it got the job done.

Here are Elliot's individual pictures. It definitely shows the sweet and gentle nature of his pretty well.

110424IMG_8042  110424IMG_8043

Erik's individual pictures turned out just as well aided by the fact that he hurt his foot and thought he couldn't move. These pictures show his more goofy mischievous side, my little 3.5 year old.

110424IMG_8103  110424IMG_8101

110424IMG_8100

It took two session and lots of bribes to even get what I got from the boys. I think they were over tired and sick of everything. These are my favorite shots.

110424IMG_8090  110424IMG_8058

110424IMG_8111

Here are the rest of the pictures that I tried to get THE shot, but none of them ever really worked. Some days you just need to get go and realize it isn't going to happen, but at least I got something usable.

110424IMG_8052

110424IMG_8061

110424IMG_8064  110424IMG_8083

110424IMG_8112

110424IMG_8120

110424IMG_8114

110424IMG_8127

110424IMG_8130


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.