Saturday, April 9, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me

It's funny, but a month ago when we were having brunch with Carl's family my sister-in-law asked me what I had planned for my birthday. Here was my response, "I'm turning 34, I have two kids and birthdays aren't that important to me anymore, so probably nothing." I really meant it too, yes I wouldn't mind celebrating with my immediate family but big drunken birthday celebrations are not interesting to me anymore. The conversation continued on to include plans for a beer garden and lots of drinking on my birthday all instigated by my dear husband, but here is what really happened.

Last week when I started getting emails about my birthday I realized it was on a Saturday which almost forces me to celebrate so I sent a last minute email to my sitter seeing if I could go out and have an adult dinner on my birthday. She is busy filming a movie, my poor sitter (yeah right), and couldn't come on the weekend anytime this month. I just took it as a sign, keep it simple liked I planned this year.

I love my mother-in-law, she really does do a lot to try and make me feel special on my birthday. Every year she makes sure in some way to celebrate with me and in person and comes up with lots of creative way to do it. A couple years ago when I was pregnant with Elliot she watched Erik for the day so I could get a massage and some alone time, Elliot came two weeks later. She just does little things all the time to make sure we celebrate together. This year she had plans for the weekend so she made sure to take time out of her busy week and drive down to celebrate with us. We went out to dinner and had a nice cake celebration afterwards. It was sweet and I appreciate the effort and love.

Fast forward to a couple days, its now my birthday and I had no clue what I had planned. I meant to book a massage with a Groupon I had and totally forgot, I know I wanted to get our grass finished before our big trip, and I know I just want to spend time with myself and my family.

In preparation of our big trip I needed to go to Lens Crafters and since it was right next to the Burbank Parade I just took the family. No pictures, but we stayed for an hour and had fun and the boys really enjoyed themselves. I was actually suppose to be in the parade, but a morning of dealing that did not sound fun on my birthday so we watched instead. Next we headed to lunch at Outback for some more family time.

During the morning I got a hold of the spa and booked an appointment during the boys naps so I even got some alone time which is what I really wanted, but this is what strikes me as funny about this birthday. For most of Carl and my birthdays we plan everything for each other, dinners, cakes, presents and the other person just sits back and enjoys the ride. Well today it just didn't work out that way. We were together as a family this morning so he had no time to pick up a cake for me. This is always 100% his job and he always chooses the best cakes. Today I was next door to my favorite bakery after my spa appointment so I just picked it out myself. I have to admit that if this happened pre-kids I would be pissed, and to credit Carl, he felt insanely guilty when I did this, but honestly it just made sense and I didn't care. I got to choose the cake I wanted and everything went smoothly.

As for the cake, I got it from my favorite bakery Porto's and I was seconds away from walking out with a carrot cake, when I saw this beautiful flower and couldn't resist. So I walked away with a red velvet cake, it fit my go with the flow style for my birthday this year.

110409IMG_7145

110409IMG_7175

When I get home Carl has decided to take out ALL the geotrax so now my birthday is about new toys for the boys, but I don't care. They are happy and distracted and I am glad they are celebrating with a new toy. It makes me happy to see them happy.

110409IMG_7178

110409IMG_7190

110409IMG_7192

110409IMG_7196 110409IMG_7200

110409IMG_7186

110409IMG_7182

110409IMG_7180

110409IMG_7155

110409IMG_7156

Then because I have wanted to try this out for a while and anytime I make this suggestion Carl says no, I decided to go for it. Its my birthday and I'll do what I want, so a picnic dinner on the ground in the family room and the kids loved it. Put a blanket down and clean up was simple.

A note about dinner, I ordered it myself and had Carl pick it up. He was suppose to make me dinner and didn't plan it out well at all or put any thought into it. Again something that would make me mad if this happened pre-kids, but instead of getting mad we had a picnic of Baja Fresh on the ground at home. Life is an adventure sometimes. Besides I had dinner out Wednesday and have dinner planned for tomorrow.

110409IMG_7207

110409IMG_7203

Then comes the cake, since I bought it myself I totally forgot we had no candles and that is common for me. So after Carl tried to search for candles, but I ended up searching and finding them myself, and I am 33 again so ageless. This is another thing that would have made me mad, but I find it funny this year and loved the kids celebrating and singing me happy birthday. I am learning to let go.

110409IMG_7211

110409IMG_7214110409IMG_7218

110409IMG_7219

Then comes my favorite moment of the day, we're eating my red velvet cake, a bit sweet so I might stick with carrot next time, and Elliot starts singing me "happy birthday" over and over. Definitely the simple things that make me happy these days.

110409IMG_7226

110409IMG_7228

As for presents, a trip to Hawaii is suppose to be it for me, but I think Carl felt guilty because I had the kids make him homemade presents for his birthday. Carl's mom taught him well, I got a brand new necklace this year in my new favorite color, red. It changed in the last couple years from blue to red and I think this surprised Carl.

110409IMG_7167

So its a simple birthday, no heavy drinking or fancy restaurants involved, but I am ok with it. Life changes and I change with it and let the anger go. If things aren't perfect, which they never are, I appreciate the little things that makes life special. I am happy with this birthday and all those who have chosen to celebrate and make it special for me, a brunch with some friends and dinner with my brother and sister-in-law. I got to spend lots of time with those who mean a lot to me and those I love and that is what birthdays are about, spending time with people in your life.

2 comments:

  1. That cake looks so yummy! Such a shame that it was too sweet. I LOVE your hat. I know it wasn't the present but seriously how cute is that! I love the necklace too. Funny you say your favorite color changed. Mine went from green to blue. Happy belated Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!! Yummy cake...:)

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.