Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Brother See, Brother Do

I noticed in the last couple weeks Elliot had another developmental explosion. He is probably getting to the worst of his terrible twos and there is a lot of "no" in our house right now even if he really means yes. He wants to know what everything is, and tell you what everything is especially when you are taking walks. His mind is just a sponge and this is one of those moments in life when you stop and enjoy the little things, all seen through a 22 month olds eyes.

Another side affect that is new to me is the imitation factor. Anything Erik does, Elliot is quickly on his heels in imitation. It is utterly fascinating. On the other side of it, I have taken this as an opportunity for Erik to lead and I ask him to help his brother do certain tasks or ask him to teach is brother. This is why you have siblings, there is a definitely benefit of learning from a different perspective.

One of the first moments I noticed this trend was the day after Valentine's Day. Erik had gotten two new "Cars" toys. We got to preschool early and were waiting for them to open the gate. He wanted to tell his friend Sophia all about his new toys so I told him to talk to her. Erik ran over with Elliot on his heels and tells her this very important news. Then after he is done, Elliot proceeds to have the same conversation with Sophia, but in gibberish. Same length, same tone, just too precious.

So in the last couple days I had my camera lying around and if I saw a moment I tried to capture it. There are only a couple and there are so many moments I haven't captured, but it is definitely a fun little stage.

After my painting fiasco early in February I gave up on arts and craft for a bit, but slowly I have been bringing out the crayons. Although Erik doesn't care for them much, it seems to be a new interest of Elliot so of course if one brother does art, the other as well.



My favorite moment of the week so far was a random comment I made. We always wash our hands before we eat. Erik is old enough now that he can go in the bathroom himself wash his hands and I don't have to supervise, Elliot still needs help. For some reason on this day I said to Erik, "Can you help Elliot wash his hands?" I have probably said this to him before to death ears, but on this day he helped Elliot. Also he really did help him, no splashing, no playing, no goofing around. Erik turned on the water, gave him soap on his hand and a towel to dry his hands. Truly what I do. It took me a while to figure out it was really happening so I had all of 30 seconds to get this picture.



The last moment was today. Part of this is just funny. Erik starts going to poop on the potty and of course this is the moment that Elliot wakes up from his nap so I head upstairs and have to clean a massive diaper. He is potty trained but having issues with poop so it goes in the diaper during nap more than in the potty. (we'll get there). So Erik starts calling me down to the potty and says "Mommy look at this, there is a car and airplane in this magazine," and let me tell you he was super excited.

This is what I saw. Then of course because his brother just woke up he has to visit him and talk to him while on the potty, who cares how much it smelled. Love and companionship over smells in this household.



I am sure this is only a taste of what is to happen for the rest of my life, but it is fun to watch it blossom and grow and see the innocence of it all right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.