Sunday, March 27, 2011

Smores and Ojai

This Sunday the boys hadn't seen their grandparents in a while so we headed up to Ojai for some family time and what I like most of all, time to walk around the orchard. My boys did what they always do there, walk around all the old cars sitting around the farm. climb a few rocks, go on some hikes and just enjoy themselves at their grandparents house.

What seems to be a new tradition during the rainy season, is to cook smores by the firepit. Excuse my lack of variety of picture from today, but Aunt Chrissy thought it would be a good idea to visit the Ojai Beverage Company and have a few pints. So my imagery suffered as a result. Boys stayed at home with grandma watching a movie.


Smores are definitely a rare family treat here and only shared at Grandma's house. My boys are lucky to get cookies on a good week. So the adults sat by the campfire and roasted marshmallows while the boys savored in the gooey mess.




 

I have to say that the boys really loved their gooey mess although Elliot did have one freak out when marshmallow got all over his hand. I think he was mostly done for the day and ready to head home at that point.


Although I literally just wrote a blog about how I am teaching my boys to eat healthy, it is moments like these that we share as a family that count more than the calories. It is the memories that you have to remember today and stop thinking about what is going to happen tomorrow. This is why I love having children, it just makes me stop and appreciate what I have right now instead of thinking of what is next or who or what I want to accomplish next. Life is simple when you sit back and just enjoy a smores.






I have to share these pictures because there is a picture in my archives of Carl in this same chair as a little boy and out of both the boys Elliot looks like Carl the most. So here is Elliot's special moment in the rocking chair today eating raisins. Sometimes it is just the simple things that count the most.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.