Thursday, March 10, 2011

Enjoying spring while it is here

After having weeks of very cool weather and rain we got a break with warm temperatures and lots and lots of sunshine. I know must of us moms who have taken our kids out are very confused, long sleeves, short sleeves, shorts, I see it all, and once us moms get it down the weather changes and we get it all wrong again.

So today, dressed appropriately I think, we woke up from our naps and decided to enjoy this beautiful spring day. What this means to us is chalk, short sleeves and bare feet and lots and lots of time outside.






Please excuse my toes, but I was letting them "breath" for the winter. Looks like I might be hitting the nail salon for a pedicure this weekend.

After my inspiring parent education lecture last week I hit the Target $1 bin for some projects I have in the works, but in the meantime I grabbed some chalk. We haven't done this project for a while and it is always fun when it is fresh so we decorated our driveway this afternoon. There is no color discrimination in this household, we like pink here just like any other color.


We haven't drawn each others bodies for months, but Erik's memory is amazing lately and the first thing he wants to do is draw me. Elliot laid down as soon as Erik asked and of course he was the first victim. Then comes mommy and then mommy has to draw both boys. Its a very complicated project over here.




Then there are times when it is not about projects it is just about enjoying what you can do outside and for my two boys that involved a lot of chase and bike riding.




The beauty of my house is that we can play in both the front and backyard so when it is time to cook dinner we change locations and it gives us a fresh new perspective and a whole slew of projects. I love this time of year because I put out the water table and said to my boys, no tv this afternoon and you are not allowed inside until I tell you. I LOVE spring! I also love that the only tv they watch is the 30 minutes while I take my shower.



 

Erik is learning lots of new things in preschool and one is how to be a boy. Today he started playing pirates and took my cooking shears and started trying to play swords. I immediately took him outside and gave him appropriate toys to play pirates. I do have to admit if I didn't start reading up on boys or go to my parent education class I might freak out by sword play, but I realize now it is a natural process for boys and nothing I can really control.

    

The last couple things I love about spring at my house. The back door is always open, the grill is almost always going and the flowers are blooming. Definitely a great time of year.



1 comment:

  1. We've been spending tons of time outside as well - our driveway is constantly covered with chalk drawings recently! I love the picture of Erik tracing Elliot!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.