Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Free Range Kids, my style

There has been a lot of buzz on the book "Free Range Kids". I see it on Facebook, on message boards and even my parent education classes are talking about it. I have to confess that I don't read her blog nor have I read the book, but I get it. I think after enough discussion I can see the point people are getting at and its definitely some food for though. One of these days I'll probably read it just because, but for now I wanted to express my personal philosophy for free range children.

First of all I have no idea how far I will take it when my kids are older, but right now at 3.5 and 2 I try to let them test limits and boundaries without helicoptering. I am not going to let my kids run around my neighborhood, but I often wonder what my friends might think of my philosophy because I am definitely a little individualistic on this idea. Some people might misunderstand my inaction as laziness, but honestly I am doing it on purpose, but when my friends correct my kids I smile and go with it. I don't see anything wrong with them getting different points of view.

Here are a couple of examples. Today Erik didn't nap and when that happens he goes crazy, to the point where I can't control his behavior and am yelling and giving him timeouts constantly. Today was a gorgeous day, we had been sitting for almost two hours watching "Tangled" and the boys needed to get outside. So I put some water in the water table, opened the windows so I could hear and see the boys clearly and told them they couldn't come inside until dinner. Just to clarify, my backyard is completely fenced and they could fall two feet in front of me just as much as when I am in the house cooking dinner. If I was worried about them falling I wouldn't own a swing set!

At first they both freaked out. They stood by the door crying and insisted on coming inside, but I held my ground, told them no and just waited to see what happened. Well actually I went into the kitchen to get dinner started. The next time I checked on the boys they were really busy. Sometimes when I looked they were playing with the house or on the swing set together and sometimes they were playing independently. There was minimal fighting and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. I appreciated how quickly they found something to do when I told them they couldn't come back inside.





Then I looked outside and Erik is putting dirt on the swing set. Sometimes I don't mind in small quantities, but I could tell by the gleam in his eye he planned on putting a lot there. He didn't nap so he had no impulse control that afternoon. I went out there to stop Erik and just get a general sense of what was going on. As soon as I am out there everything breaks down and the boys start fighting. This is what I found most interesting, when I stepped back and let their play evolve on its own they played in peace, but the minute I interfered they both started crying and fighting. I say, let them play outside by themselves if they are going to get along better and it gives them the sense of independence and testing the limits my boys crave.







Another thing that got me thinking was when we went hiking yesterday. My friend Tracy asked me for the best place to take her girls hiking and then invited us along. I decided Stough was a good beginner hike because it is wide, a gradual incline and there are tadpoles to see at the end of the hike. My boys have been on this hike a lot so I am comfortable with them up there and give them free reign. The first time I was up there I did helicopter a bit to make sure they didn't go over edges and Carl yelled at me. Now I trust them to be safe even when they throw rocks over the edge because I have watched them test the limits while I helicoptered and know that they worry about falling just as much as I worry.

This is a very old picture, but you get an idea of what the ledge looks like.



My friend hadn't been up there so of course she treated her girls the same way and her girls were a bit more reckless than the boys, but she always got worried about my kids. It got me thinking if my friends think of me as lazy. I am by no means wanting them to go over the edge, but I am not commenting or controlling the situation on purpose. If they get to a dangerous spot I will discuss that with them, but if they want to stand near a ledge and throw rocks down a hill I am totally fine with it. The same thing happened while they were using some flowers as swords. She stopped them, but in my mind and what I told her, is that the worse that would happen is that it might get it in their eye, but they wouldn't be seriously hurt and would learn a lesson if that happened. So I just let them play swords with flowers.

So my question is, do those who like to hover a bit more think of us "free range" parents as reckless and lazy? If so, know I am doing it on purpose and it is philosophy on how I want to raise my kids. Of course if you feel safer correcting them I am okay with that too because kids need to learn different methods of disciplines and limits from different people and I am fine with that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.