Monday, August 9, 2010

Avocados

In the last month I have noticed a change in the way the boys interact. They don't really coexist as much as they use to, they really have started to engage and play a lot more. This started on our vacation, probably because Erik is learning how to engage other kids right now. One of their favorite games is when Elliot holds onto Erik's shirt and he runs away while Elliot holds on. It is so simple, yet hilarious to these two.


Well today I was in the backyard cleaning out their play area. The gardeners don't seem to care that the boys toys are there and keep blowing in the lawn cuttings and leaving it there. Definitely a talk this week. While I was doing this Erik comes out with two avocados telling me Elliot wants them. It is a very well known fact in my house that Elliot adores avocados. I told him to please put them back and that Elliot didn't really want them.

Erik is really into food, he got a used kitchen before we left for vacation and its his new favorite game. We play with food all day long so I shouldn't be surprised that he started obsessing about the real thing especially for his brother that he absolutely adores right now.

So Elliot starts climbing up the swing set and I always have to watch him carefully and give him 100% of my attention. I glance back to make sure Erik is being safe and this is what I saw.

Erik has been a bit of a challenge lately and requiring a lot of discipline. He is about to turn 3 so no surprise there!! Anyway this is one of those moments where you have to decide, as a parent do I get angry and teach him a lesson about getting into something he is not suppose to, or do I grab my camera and capture a cute moment. Guess what I decided to do.


I have to be honest, Erik is terrible about eating his veggies and I was half hoping he would try a little avocado himself instead of giving it to Elliot. This was definitely not the case and although he enjoyed peeling the thing, it was definitely a moment of sharing with his brother.



Now I am fully aware that Elliot was eating avocado off the ground and didn't do much to stop it. My kids eat dirt all the time and never stay clean. If I freaked out at every little thing like this I would have no peace in my life and would change my kids 10 times a day. I have boys and my boys like to get messy. Also Elliot really enjoyed the avocado his brother got for him so how could I possibly throw it away?


 

Living proof that my kids enjoy a good mess. Although geting cleaned up with the hose after being messy is half the fun.





1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!! I love that Erik peeled the avocado for Elliot! How sweet!! And the pictures of Elliot eating it are just...too cute for words!! Gotta love the stuffed mouth/smile picture! And I love his curls! Where did you get his rompers!? I'm currently addicted to rompers.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.