Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Photobooks and Annoying Software

I have been wanting to create photobooks for months and just couldn't figure out how or which way I wanted to do it. My previous life was as a graphic designer so my program of choice to create these books was InDesign, but I wanted the fun backgrounds, shapes and text that comes with photobook software. So I broke down and purchase a program without trying it, knowing that I would probably hate it, but at least I would get all the shapes that came with it.

Today the program arrived and as I predicted, I was fumbling with the program and thinking of how to create these books when I just knew in my heart I need to use InDesign. It is just second nature for me to create in that program instead of fumbling around and trying to figure out something new. But hey I didn't waste my money, I am going to use all the clip art I got and it is all high resolution since the program was designed for print. So all is not wasted.

So after getting this software and hating it I had no more excuses to not design. Besides it is Erik's birthday on Sunday and what better excuse than to create a book about Erik's second year while it is ending. Last Friday when I had Kate here I sorted through all the pictures and figured out the potential for all the pages I would create for Erik's book. So tonight it was ready for me and all I had to do was create the design and plug in some images. Sound easy right?

Well here are the first couple pages of Erik's book and I am liking how it is turning out. After this I can't wait to go back and create book for the first years of Erik and Elliot's life. I blogged in such detail it will be fun to pull from those years and create a permanent book. Can you tell I am excited for this project?

Here is a sneak preview of the first four pages I created. Keep in mind this book is just about Erik. Books on Elliot to come. I have 5 year to cover between the two of them!!




-----------


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.