Sunday, August 29, 2010

Elliot's First Haircut

Today is one of those milestone days, first haircut. There are many moments like that when you have a child, first steps, first crawl, first solids, first anything. This one is so permanent because you are removing all traces of babyhood and replacing it with a real boy. So its no wonder that I have been putting off Elliot's first hair cut even though his hair was starting to look like a mullet. I was just loving the baby curls and knew once this day arrived they would be gone forever.

Carl has been nagging me to do this for months, so this morning I decided to make an appointment. I tried to go this afternoon, but our favorite stylist was only there until 3 pm so we pushed our naps back and headed over to the salon. Here is a picture of Elliot on our way to the salon. His "before" picture.


I was a little worried because Elliot hadn't napped yet and I knew he would pass out in the car on the way to the salon which of course happened, but he woke up happy and my fears were erased. Apparently our stylist is a popular guy because there was someone getting their hair cut and another kid waiting when we got there and we had an appointment. The salon is made for kids so we had plenty to do while we waited.



As a mom it is hard for me to let go and let someone else comfort my child, including their father. When it comes to photography I will let it go to capture the moment and the memory forever. This only happens once and good pictures will help me to remember and relive it forever. So that being said, daddy got to sit with Elliot while he got his hair cut and mommy took all the pictures. This is Elliot getting his hair wet with his first little squirt of water. He had no idea what he was in for.


Then comes the first clip and the moment of truth; will my child cry and hate this experience or will he be a good sport and sit through it. Erik fussed and moved his head in every direction the stylist didn't want him to go, so I thought the same for Elliot. I think catching him sleepy might of helped because he just sat there and never cried and moved his head where it needed to go.

 



I am amazed that I even saw some smiles and excitement on his face while going through this process. My child never ceases to amaze me every single day.






Since Elliot was doing so well with the haircut, when the stylist asked to blow dry and put product on his hair, I said why not. I like getting my hair blow dried and love product. Its funny because I think getting his hair blow dried was his favorite part of the whole experience.


  




Here it is, the final product of him sitting still. My baby is no longer a baby, but a full fledged toddler and on his way to a lifetime of haircuts. It makes me sad to be reaching these milestones already, but we were ready.



Since we had both kids there and Erik has a major wandering problem, I needed to make sure he would be safe and not take off on me so I could take all the pictures I wanted and needed to of Elliot. So he got to do one of his favorite activities, games on mommy's iPhone. Sorry if you got a random email from me, its his fault!


Here is proof that mommy was there photographing the entire thing. Besides I didn't want to be forgotten in this moment and for it to be motherless.

And since Erik should not be forgotten and the fact that he got a haircut too, here is his haircut today. Usually Erik really likes getting his hair cut and sits fascinated and loves being dotted on. Maybe it was because we were so close to nap, or maybe because we focused so much on his brother we forgot about him, the haircut had a little more attitude today, but he still looks handsome.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.