Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Doctors Appointment for the boys; 16 months and 3 years

Today I took Elliot to his 16 month doctors appointment and Erik to his 3 year appointment. Kind of confusing to do it all at once, but more convenient for Carl and I since we both can manage the kids. So I'll start with Elliot and end with Erik. As a side note, we were running late and of course I forgot my camera. I took all these pictures with my new iPhone. Totally good example of what it can do in low light situations. There is a lot of blur, but not too bad for a phone.



Elliot's Statistics:
Weight: 25 lbs, 2 oz (52%)
Height: 32 in (64%)
Head: 19 in (75%)

 




Physically he is right on track of where he has always been. His weight and height are staying steady in the average range. When Dr. Whang did her checkup everything looked great and he was meeting all his milestones and beyond. When I told her Elliot has mimicked about 60 words so far she was really impressed and said that was well beyond his age group and he was doing really well in the language department. Carl and I weren't too impressed lately because we realized it was mimicking and he only says a few words consistently with specific meaning. She said mimicking was actually really really good and that was beyond his age group. Basically everything about Elliot is great. He doesn't throw too many tantrums. He eats very healthy including his vegetables. He is walking and moving like a pro. He might only be walking for a month, but his waddle is already gone and he has amazing balance and control. He is obsessed with books and reading like his brother was at this age. He will keep thrusting a book in your face until you accept that you have to read it or else. He does have moments of temper, especially related to food, but he is easy to distract and make happy again. Elliot is a great tempered kids and totally laid back. I am waiting for the moment when it gets harder for him and relishing the fact that it has been so easy.

Sleep has been a bit of challenge with him, but in a weird way. He sleeps great through the night and was taking about 4 hours of naps a day. The problem is that as soon as the light was out he would he would wake up which was around 6 am and would go to bed around 7:30 or so. Basically I wanted to increase the amount of sleep he got at night and decrease the amount of sleep he got during the day. Basically forcing Elliot to take one nap even though he is fine with two naps still. So this week I have been putting him down around 11:30-12 and then Erik down right after. Before this he took at nap around 10 and then a second around 2:30. The first two days Elliot took a 3 hour nap and slept until 7 or so. Today he took a 2 hour nap and when he wakes up we'll find out tomorrow. I am hoping a week or so of this new routine will put sleep right where we want it.

As for teeth, get popped in 4 teeth while we were on vacation last month and his molars are due in any day. I am sure there is some calm before the storm expected with that at any moment. Now on to Erik.

Erik's Statistics
Weight: 38 lbs (94%)
Height: 39 in (84%)
Head: 19.75 in (61%)

 




The weight I am not surprised at all. He has been in the 90s for a while and I expect he will stay there. Erik really doesn't have much baby fat on him anymore, but he is really dense. I seriously expect him to one day explode up and get really skinny and loose the denseness he has. The other day I had him just in his underwear during a water playdate and all the girls were commenting on how he wasn't chubby at all anymore, but super thick in a muscular way. One day he'll grow into those feet and hands of his. I actually was surprised to see him climb to the 80s in height. Compared to his girlfriends who are mostly 2.5 months older, he is a shrimp. They have been towering over him lately so I expected him to decrease in percentage not increase in height. He was only in the 75% for his second birthday.

Some notables about Erik. He is potty trained when he wants to be. He is also still very orally fixated and at this age I am pretty sure he is not going to grow out of it. To prove his point to the doctor he chewed off the sleeves of the gown he got to wear for the appointment. He is still a very picky eater, but a very funny thing happened the other day. I always give Erik a piece of our veggies on his plate. He usually won't touch it unless we trick him or bribe him. One this day I had fresh broccoli from our CSA box and Elliot was gobbling it up and asking for 3rds and 4ths. He loved the stuff and Carl and I were making a super big deal about it. I turn around and the next thing I notice is that Erik's broccoli was gone and he eat it. So maybe his brother will be a good influence on him.

A good and interesting fact about Erik is his interest in reading. He is very curious about words right now and associating language with the pictures in the book. He is always asking where the words go and with what picture. One of his new favorite activities is spelling. He likes to take Elliot's picture books and start spelling out the words. It is good for him because he has a picture right there for instant recognition of the word. I am definitely not an educator or reading expert, but I am pretty sure these are the early signs of reading. If he continues with the same amount of interest, I wouldn't be surprised if he was reading by his 4th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.