Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My First CSA Box

I have a friend who is really into CSA (community supported agriculture) and cooking and talks about it all the time on Facebook. I was never very interested, I am not that great of a cook and the whole process of getting vegetables I might not eat seemed annoying. Then one day I completely changed my mind. I decided although I might get some unusual vegetables it will just encourage Carl and I to broaden our palette and it will encourage us to eat healthy because we will have tons of servings of vegetables to eat every week.

So my friends were discussing different CSA services they used and I didn't participate in the conversation, but I was the casual observer on Facebook. I took note, thought about it for a month and then went on vacation and decided once I get back I would try it out. There are several different CSA boxes and most of them you have to pick up on a weekly basis at a designed spot. With two kids it seemed a bit out of they way for where I lived and not easy. Then one of my friends suggested this place called "Farm Fresh to You" basically an organic fruits and vegetable delivery service. I could get the box as often as I wanted with as many fruits or vegetables that I wanted and it cost just as much as all the other places, but it was delivered to my door. One of the things that sold me on CSA is that it is cheap considering I would spend that amount at the Farmer's Market in a week and this service came with fruit and many of them do not offer fruit.

So the day after I got home from vacation I signed up and decided to give it a try. I told them no tomatoes and right now they are in season and going out in those boxes like crazy!! We got our first box today and I am pretty excited about the contents and looking forward to figuring out how to make stuff from it. The only items I am unsure about are the radishes and eggplant, but I can work with it for sure.

Here is the contents of today's box. Grapefruit, grapes, watermelon, sweet peppers, onions, radishes, zucchini, and eggplant.

The box couldn't have come at a better time. Elliot was really fussy this morning and demanding fruit with his breakfast and I was completely out knowing I was getting a CSA box soon. Grapefruit was always a breakfast fruit when I was growing up so I decided to give some to him.


Then I decided to eat the other half myself. Yummy! Looking forward to cooking adventures with my CSA box.

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! Do you like eggplant parm? I have never liked eggplant until a few weeks ago! I have a great and very easy eggplant parm recipe. I also have a roasted veggie and orzo salad (with feta and onions and peppers, etc.) Let me know if you need recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never saw this, but I made some breaded eggplant thing and Elliot LOVED it. Seriously he pigs out on all the veggies from the box. Makes it totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.