Friday, May 14, 2010

Erik La Resitance

So we are still sick this week. Basically we have been sick, we meaning the boys, for two weeks now and they are both going a little stir crazy. Erik is still refusing to go outside and on Wednesday I basically forced him to go outside and get a little bit of exercise. I know he is sick, but walking would be good for him and burn some valuable energy and calories for my little guy.

So I basically told him, "Erik we are going for a walk" and he got really mad a started throwing a fit. I just wouldn't stand for it this time and pick him up and put him out the door. This is what he did as soon as he was outside. He stood in the corner and refused to go anywhere. At least it gave me a moment to set Elliot up and grab extra items we needed for the walk. Lovey stayed home this day, obviously!



So finally I got him to head for the walk and go on the sidewalk to be on our way. Of course as soon as we get going he goes for his usual stall techniques and starts crawling in super slow motion on the ground.



So when I finally get Erik moving he takes off in a run to get as far away from me as possible and of courses puts himself in danger. I love our alley, but it drives me crazy that I can't get him to stop at alley's and look both ways before crossing. At least he stops at major streets.



The first major stop on our walk is always to visit "nice doggie" whose name happens to be named Romeo, but we never call him that. This guy loves affection and pets and always greets us very friendly even when we have Lovey. On this day even "nice doggie" got some attitude with a tongue stick out.


Then more stalling and stopping, most if it I did forgive because he was still breathing hard and sick. I can't blame the guy for moving slow, it is the attitude I could live without. And because one of the only times he sits, except today, is when he is drinking from his sippy I had to include that picture.



When Erik gets like this I try to find something to motivate him to keep walking. Today it was a yellow truck he pointed out. Of course I took him up the hill and around the block to yellow truck to give him a little extra exercise. Here was our end goal and we finally made it, FINALLY!


Erik cool new light up shoes. He loves these things, and I like them because I don't have to search for socks right now.



Of course there are no pictures of Elliot on this walk because he calmly stayed in his stroller enjoying the walk in pure bliss like he always does. Not a fuss or a sound from him the entire time. He even got mad when we got home and I took him out of stroller. He immediately crawled to it and asked for "more."



Then finally Erik enjoyed the outside and spend some time with his brother playing and doing things that boys do, like digging in the dirt.



Since Erik has been refusing to spend time outside and I know Elliot would be out there all day if given a chance I decided when Erik was napping and Elliot was awake we needed some one on one time in the front yard. So we went outside and did a picnic lunch/ crawl and explore time in the front yard. I really can't get this guy to sit still at all.




Then since Elliot was wearing his birthday shirt and I never got an official 1 year picture with his shirt I tried to do portraits and brought out my white reflector. It way too windy for portraits that day. Oh well need to try again soon.


This is the activity that did make Erik happy this week, watching home videos of himself. He could do this for hours, but obviously we have to limit the amount of time.


And Elliot's new toddler habit, emptying all drawers in every room he is in. My house looks like a tornado zone every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.