Thursday, May 6, 2010

School Hike

I love my Thursday class with Erik. It gives us some valuable one on one time and it gives him some time with his peers. Today was a very special day in our class, we got to go on a field trip. We went to the Stough Nature Center up in the Burbank Hills. I was really impressed with this group of 2-year olds because it was a pretty steep hike to the top.



We waited for the class to arrive in the Stough Nature Center. There are so many cool things to look at and observe. They showed us animal skins, and there were displays of a bunch of cool nature items. I have to confess I didn't look, I was too busy taking pictures. I really love watching Erik in this setting, he is getting so comfortable exploring and observing everything around him. My favorite part was watching him with his best friend, Rachel. I have known for a while that Erik and Rachel just love each other, but you could really see it here. While we were waiting for the rest of the class to arrive Erik and Rachel would follow each other around the room looking from display to display. They were taking it in together.






After our nature center visit we went on a hike up the hill. I was really impressed at how well all the children did while walking up the hill since it was really hot and it was extremely steep. They were all troopers though.








Oh and a surprise, we saw a velvet ant on our hike. Apparently that is a very very rare sit. Good thing I put my 85mm lens on for this hike!



Of course, the only time I can get Erik to sit still for a picture with the view, yep drinking a sippy cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.