Friday, May 7, 2010

Sick Day

I have been very inspired lately and interested in documenting all the little details of our everyday lives. It seems like the more I shoot, the more I am inspired and the more I am finally figuring out some of my shooting problems. Today I put on my 50mm lens since I was shooting inside and the space is cramped. I also took off my flash and was manually metering. The biggest thing is that I decided to shoot in JPG today. I think I might start doing that more so I can start saving space on my hard drive. I am sure I don't need RAW files all the time with how much I am shooting lately.

So today was one of those rough days that I always wanted to document. For the last 1.5 years every time Erik gets sick it always turns into bronchitis and the older he has gotten, the more dramatic he gets when he is sick with it. Granted I know it is uncomfortable and he really can't breath well, but he definitely plays up the sickness very well. It always go like this, he gets sick and then on day 3 he needs nebulizer treatments or baby crack as I was calling it this morning. Today he developed it on day 6 and I was so hopeful it wasn't going to happen this time.

It always starts off with him very upset and having a hard time breathing.


The session always ends with the gleam back in Erik's eyes as the baby crack takes over. I think he actually starts to get the crazy eyes at the end of his treatment.



Unfortunately when Erik can hardly breath he spends most of his time on the floor or asking for "ups". All my poor little guy wants to do is lay down and rest, or be rocked and cuddled but I am sure it is hard to breath even when you are resting like this.





Of course with all this chaos of illness there is always time to make muffins. Besides cooking during Elliot's nap always makes Erik feel special and it is our very favorite activity together.



Amid all this chaos of illness is Elliot, my sweet boy. Fortunately for him he slept through most of the drama and woke up with a smile on his face. I love watching my boy grow and lately his biggest attachment is to his blankie. If I use his backup blankie now he knows and cries until I bring it. If he goes to bed with a different blanket he throws a fit. It really is a part of our lives and I know we can't leave home without it.



And amid all this illness there was yet another victory. Elliot drank 8 oz of milk from his sippy cup after his lunch. It made me realize I now need to come up with a plan for weaning and I think I know how I can do gradual weaning with Elliot and yet make it his idea. I am starting to finally be ready to wean my baby boy, but I am still not there 100% mentally yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.