Thursday, May 6, 2010

Memory Books

So for years now I have wanted to make a book out of the blogs and facts from Erik's first year and now Elliot's first year. I have never been sure how I was going to do it, but another blog I read really inspired me and gave me the motivation I needed to finish these books. As a matter of fact I think I am going to create a book for each year of my boys and my photography.

I feel like as a photographer I take all these pictures and I post them sometimes, but then they go to neverland. In my infinite ego I want to place to showcase my work and what better way than specialized books for my boys. They might not appreciate them when they get to be adults, but I know the grandparents will love the books and I am so sentimental I will probably look at them all the time.

So in the meantime our Thursday class for Erik is coming to an end. We wanted to get a present for the teachers and one of the idea was a photobook. Well I know teachers could really care less about a photobook, but I knew if I created one for the class I could practice and get an idea of what I want to do for Erik and Elliot's books. Also it would be a pretty cool souvenir for the class.

I was only in the class for 1/2 the year, but I already knew so many of these women from various activities and different classes I took when Erik was a baby.  It felt like the perfect home for us. I am even more excited because so many of these kids will be going to preschool with Erik this August. He will already have friendly faces at his new school.

Anyway here is the book. I only had 3 days to finish it, which included the time to collect images from all the other moms. I think it turned out pretty great all things considered. One problem I did have is the cover of the book. I wasn't ready for that and didn't design anything. I am not sure if I will like how it turned out, but live and learn on that one.

The Thursday 2's Memory Book

In case anyone is interested here are the facts about my book. I designed it for a 12x12 book, but ended up printing it in an 8x8 size due to the cost. The entire book was designed in InDesign and all the headers are custom made by me. No clip art was used in the entire book. All the colors are Pantone colors gotten from my favorite color book. All the images were color corrected using Lightroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Heather

My photo
I am a Los Angles based photographer and mom of 2 wonderful boys. Photography has been a passion of mine over 15 years now, ever since I picked up my first camera in journalism school and started developing my black and whites in a darkroom. The instant an affordable DSLR came out on the market in 2002, I had to have one and have been shooting digital since. Once I became a mom I realized how much I enjoy photographing children and how much better I could understand their nuances so it became a passion of mine. Their is such innocence and beauty in their pictures and I feel privileged to be a part of that. I am constantly trying new approaches and tuning my skills to create the art that is in my head, not just the art that I can create right now. I am very interested in off camera flash, and the depth and clarity it adds to my photographs. Sometimes I take breaks from my blog and photography, but it seems to never leave me completely. I always come back.